Non-Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by VinceP, Jan 8, 2007.

1. VinceP

VinceP New Member

Jan 8, 2007

Advertisements

Hello, first post.

I'm using TiVo Desktop & am wondering if there's a better media player than using WMP. My main complaints with it are:

1) it doesn't completely play partial files while they're being transfered, instead it'll stop where the file was completed when it started.

2) no fast forward or rewind buttons. and if I use the slider it usually messes up.

Also, I've looked through all the TiVo Desktop menu options, and I don't see where the media player it uses is selected. Is this a WMP only program?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    1) This is the fault of the TiVo decoder filter. There is nothing WMP, or any other media player, can do about this.

2) There are a few other media players out there that support FF and RW, but the only ones I know of cost money.

There is no way to change the prefered media player, but you can play the actual .tivo files in any media player that supports DirectShow. Which is pretty much all of them on Windows.

Dan

3. albrandwood

albrandwood Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Not entirely sure this would help ... It certainly doesn't resolve the issue with active transfers ... but ...

In out case, My wife likes to take TiVo shows on the road with her, but due to security issues is not allowed to connect her laptop to any wireless network, and is not allowed to install any applications...

so I use Direct Show Dump (http://prish.com/etivo/tbr.htm) to convert/strip the TiVo into AVI format ... and then use MediaPlayerClassic (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358) ...

MediaPlayerClassic is a great media player ...
    it's features include:
    (a) No installation required ...
    (b) Optional Web interface (if you can really figure a reason for that)
    (c) FastForward / Rewind
    (d) Easily configured for an 30s skip style functionality :)

For watching mpeg-4 on PocketPC, I use TCPMP (use the latest version, but get the aac codec (audio) from an earlier edition, since it is no longer included with TCPMP due to licensing issues. (and again, it's easy to set up a 30s skip)