Non-Tivo branded Bluetooth dongle

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by AngusB, Apr 9, 2020.

1. AngusB

AngusB New Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Has anyone tried using a non-tivo branded bluetooth dongle with the Lux or Vox remote?

Just curious if its a standard bluetooth dongle with their logo on it or if it has some specific extra function or just proprietary drivers the tivo uses so only its dongle works.

Reason I ask: Tivo sold me a LUX saying it was compatible with my Roamio, but it will not pair. After days with their tech support I am told it requires a bluetooth dongle to work so I have to pay them $10 more. Bad enough, but then I find out they want $13 to ship it standard. Feeling a bit bait and switched and would rather send it back than give them the money, but I really need a new remote. :)

2. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    The Vox remote including the bluetooth adapter is $29.95 at Amazon. I'd pay that before I'd pay $23 for the dongle.

Sorry, can't answer your question.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I'd be tempted to call them back, explain the circumstances, and ask them, given what they told you earlier, if they would send you the dongle as a courtesy (i.e. at no charge); or, at the very least, with no charge for shipping. TiVo reps. have some flexibility.

4. AngusB

AngusB New Member

Jan 22, 2018
    I already spoke with 3 reps (1 via facebook, 1 via TiVo chat, and 1 via phone). All towed the party line that I just misunderstood, or was confused, or just do not understand what the words "Works with" actually means. I asked if I bought the dongle if they could at least bump it to a faster ship speed considering they already wasted a week of my time with me trying to get it to work for a couple days, and then several days back and forth with their tech support trying to get it to work, before someone bothered to tell me it wasn't actually compatible and required the dongle. I was told no faster shipping nor any discount because it was my fault for not understanding that the page saying it "Works with ... TiVo Roamio Plus or Pro" doesn't actually mean it will work with the Roamio.