non-RF IR repeater?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cougfan, Jan 11, 2006.

1. cougfan

cougfan New Member

Feb 10, 2005

Advertisements

I would like to place my R10 behind a solid wood flip down door but obviously the remote can't work through the wood door. I'm not interested in a full size RF repeater like those used to transmit a remote signal from one room to another. Any ideas for a product that will help me out? Thanks.

2. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    A basic IR extender would work. Those "pyramid" looking units actually work fairly well, especially in a small area that you are referring to. Certainly nothing fancy is needed. Roughly $20 or so at you local big box store. RCA (found at most Target or Wal-Mart stores), Leapfrog, Jensen, etc. Just type "IR extender" in google (or whatever) and you'll get plenty of options in the $20's.

Do note the IR extender can work from room to room too as it actually does convert IR to RF and then back to IR. Is this what you are looking for, or what you are tyring to avoid?

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  4. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
  5. cougfan

cougfan New Member

Feb 10, 2005

Advertisements

I'm hoping to avoid the IR-RF-IR scenario, only for reasons of not wanting a pyramid next to my tv to receive the signal. Some of the other options look promising, although somewhat more expensive than I expected.

Thanks for the help.

6. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
  7. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Make sure your unit still has adequate ambient air for cooling.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I agree that wired units are more reliable, but the OP doesn't want a receiver sitting next to the TV. I use an older Radio Shack version to control my DSR6000 that is in the basement.

9. Jul 4, 2008 #9 of 10
    ccvwc

ccvwc New Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Directv offers a universal RF remote and antenna for converting your hardware to rf remote. Will this work with the R10 Directv with Tivo receiver?

10. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    No, the only receivers the RF remote will control via RF are H10, H20, H21, H23, HR20, HR21, R15, R16, and R22.