Non-OTA Bolt owner with lifetime subscr and Spectrum services seeks new adventure with Antenna

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Bea Gunder, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bea Gunder

Bea Gunder New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Hello World!

I want a divorce from Spectrum Cable, and do not want to repeat the mistake with a similar provider. Here is what I'm hoping to find in my next relationship:

* antenna for local stations. Per TVFool, I will need a rooftop antenna to get PBS and CBS; ABC and NBC are "green," although rabbitears shows all 4 signals as "good." ANYWAY....

* AT&T fiber for internet ONLY

*Roku stick or similar for streaming -- I have Netflix and considering Prime

* Non-OTA Bolt for recording local and streaming programming (I read somewhere here that the Bolt will take antenna input and that TiVo will soon release an app for Roku). It shouldn't matter, but I also have a MoCA'd Mini, and a lifetime subscription.

My main question is, are the programming guides available to the Bolt so I can program shows, local or otherwise, or do all the recordings have to be "manual" (which I can do), or is that not an option (which then, why bother?)

Does anyone out there have this setup?

I apologize if this is a repeat post. I've found several threads that address one or two parts of my "perfect mate," but not this exact setup, and I haven't been able to deduce the whole from all the parts. I would like to file for divorce ASAP, so any help muchly appreciated! :)

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    First, you won't be able to record streaming content, regardless of TiVo model.

Second, you'll want to post your BOLT's model number to confirm whether it's capable of recording from OTA antenna. (see here)

jrtroo likes this.
  3. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    If all you care about is Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, then you don’t need a Roku stick because the TiVo Bolt and Mini(s) have those apps.

4. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Programming guides for local channels are part of the TiVo subscription.

As krkaufman noted, streaming content can not be recorded.

5. Bea Gunder

Bea Gunder New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Thank you all for your very helpful responses! I looked up my Bolt and it takes both cable and antenna input so...yay!

Yes, I misspoke about recording streaming. I meant I want to be able to search the guide for streaming content, which I really don't need for just Netflix and Prime.

As for Roku stick...another yay! (And, "Duh!")

Now I just have to see if my HOA will allow the outside antenna -- we have trees so I think that's my only option.

Thanks again, folks, hopefully I'll be filing for a complete dissolution from Spectrum very soon!! :)

6. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Your HOA cannot legally prevent you from installing an antenna on your own property. Please post if they try to do so and we will point you to the applicable FCC rules. Good luck.

bam1220 and tarheelblue32 like this.
  7. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Just FYI, the HOA can't legally stop you from using an outdoor antenna or satellite dish (with some exceptions). FCC regulations prevent HOAs and landlords from stopping you: Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Attic antenna may also be an option. Works well for me and doesn’t require climbing on the roof.

I have about the same requirements as you but use Amazon Recast and Fire sticks in place of TiVo. No subscription fees and more streaming guide integration, not to mention way more streaming apps in case you start missing some of your old cable channels. Food for thought if you don’t already have lifetime on that Bolt.

Edit: I see lifetime in the title now. Still better streaming options on devices other than TiVo.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Bea Gunder likes this.
  9. Redbrick1

Redbrick1 New Member

Mar 20, 2016
    I have had your proposed setup for several years:
    OTA recorded/viewed with a Bolt and Moca connected Minis, Internet via ATT, Roku for streaming other than Netflix and Amazon.

Works very well...And saves a lot of money over cable....

10. Bea Gunder

Bea Gunder New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Thank you, AJ Ricaud and tarheelblue32 for the info re' HOA part of the equation!! I was told I had to apply to my HOA Architectural committee by the HOA company that manages my subdivision (which are townhouses). I read the Rule, and it sounds like I am free and clear to install. I am going to send that link to the Arch. committee for good measure. Thank you again, I was really worried about that!!

11. Bea Gunder

Bea Gunder New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Thanks, I will keep this info handy!

12. Bea Gunder

Bea Gunder New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    This is VERY reassuring to hear...thank you for posting!!