Non HD programs on HD Channel Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MirclMax, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1 of 10
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Okay, I realize this is going to be a bit of a newbie question .. but I'm trying to get into the TiVoHD experience and I have a thought as I begin to setup my season passes (and deal with pixelation and sound dropouts .. sigh)

I've got the major networks on Analog and their HD versions .. quite a bit of the programming on the HD channel is not "HD" .. its essentially a digital version of the analog channel. Still looks nicer.

Now the question, will such a program take up as much space as an "HD" program aired on that network .. simply because of how the channel is setup? Or will the non-HD programs take up as much room as any of the hundred random digital channels?

Since I haven't yet done a drive upgrade, I'm concerned about filling the drive with HD-sized non-HD programs .. but obviously, if its not that big of a deal, I'd prefer the better picture.

Thanks.

-MirclMax

2. Sep 4, 2007 #2 of 10
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The non-HD programs on HD channels are upconverted to the normal resolution of that HD channel so will consume quite a bit more space than the SD or encoded from analog by Tivo versions.

3. Sep 4, 2007 #3 of 10
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    So set SPs for non-HD programs on the analog counterpart . yeah?

I expected that to be the case .. just hoped it wouldn't be.

Thanks.

4. Sep 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If disk space is your primary concern then yes. The other advantage of recording the SD versions is the Tivo aspect button (or the TV functions for stretch, zoom, etc.) will function properly as opposed to the HD versions which have the side bars broadcast as part of the program.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    stevereis

stevereis New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    DFW
    In addition to the HD and analog basic cable feed, TWC in Dallas simulcasts digital SD versions of the local networks. You may want to check to see if your provider does the same.

6. Sep 4, 2007 #6 of 10
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    That would be great.. I'm assuming that if they did that, they'd have it *somewhere* in their channel guide .. right? :) Also, I'd have to assume that it would be picked up by the TiVo and be in the guide .. Sadly (and I'm on TWC as well) .. I don't think we do that.

I think I read somewhere else that someone on TWC (elsewhere) stated they were holding off on those to put them on SDV .. dunno.

-MirclMax

7. Sep 4, 2007 #7 of 10
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

Do you also have a cable box?
    What model is it there is a way to tell is your area is digital brodcasting the local channels, but it depends on what model box you have.

ajwees41

8. Sep 4, 2007 #8 of 10
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Go to Zap2It.com and look at the OTA TV listings. Many times you will see a sub channel that has the same guide data. If this is the case, the .2, .3, etc channel will probably be the digital SD version of the .1 channel. Of course you will need a antenna to do this.

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 10
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Nope. :) I appreciate the response though.

10. MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    ABC shows a .2 that looks like a possibility, but that's the only one. Again, I appreciate the effort .. but ultimately I should probably just increase the diskspace and not worry about recording all of the networks on the HD versions.

-MirclMax