Non-DVR Tivo question..

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Vect0r, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Vect0r

Vect0r Member

Nov 2, 2010
    I remember reading an article around the time of the Elite announcement that included info on a standalone, NON-dvr TiVo box. I believe it has/had the ability to play all recorded .tivo files from all other TiVos on your network. I think they mentioned it having the guide also.

ANYWAY...does anyone remember anything like this? Have the name or the link? A device like this would be perfect for me right now and I have been looking everywhere just trying to find a name or release info. Or, please tell me I'm going crazy and just am fabricating this all in my head!? :confused:

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I think you're talking about the Tivo Preview. It's only available to cable providers, not at the retail customer level.

3. Vect0r

Vect0r Member

Nov 2, 2010
    That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. Is there any reasoning behind why this is cable provider only? Are there plans to bring this to retail anytime soon? In a household like mine (6 TVs and only 2 TiVo boxes with lifetime service) I would gladly pay $150-200 for a box that offered all those services with no service fees (other than cable card, of course). Hell, I'd probably put them on all TVs that didn't have the TiVo dvr's.

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    They have only announced it for cable operators. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't offer a retail version. I can't really think of any reasons why they wouldn't want to.

The problem is that they plan to charge $10 a month. For that price, you may was well just get an additional Tivo.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Isn't that what RCN decided to price their Preview rentals? Another provider might charge more or even less. But if it shows up at retail no one knows what costs will be associtaed with it.