Non-Comcast fiber ISP with Comcast Tivo service

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by grey ghost, May 29, 2018.

1. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    A new fiber ISP has just been built out in my area. The ISP is charging the equivalent of Comcast Blast service for a 1 GB fiber with a 2 year contract and I really want to get it. I know I have to keep using Comcast cable cards in my Tivos, but my question is 1)Will I have any problems having ethernet + Moca service with the fiber and the Comcast TV service 2) For apps like "Watch ESPN", etc that demand your Comcast service information to use them, do I get to retain my current e-mail address to sign in to those apps?

I know there are some folks here who have talked about sticking with Comcast TV and a different fiber service. I'd love for them to give me an answer. I don't trust either the new ISP or Comcast to tell me the straight answer. Thanks

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I have ATT Fiber and the only difference between it and my previous ATT DSL was the installation of an optic fiber cable, and an ONT box (instead of piggy-backing on the landline wires.) The input then is through another port labeled for ONT on the Gateway/modem.

The transfer speeds are greatly increased. Uploads and downloads are at the same rates. I have 100mb down/100mb up VS 24mb down/5mb up (DSL).

3. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I know the speeds will be greatly increased. My nephew has the fiber plan and gets 300-400 wifi and 900 wired.

I'm just wondering about how to sign into TV apps on the iPad/iPhone/etc if your Comcast e-mail address is no longer valid because you've changed to another ISP even though you've retained the Comcast TV service

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I doubt they would change as its also related to your TV services as well.
    You may have a new email address in addition.

What I would do now is to change all online accounts with that email address to another (GMail, yahoo) or some free email service. While the old address is still active, you can receive confirmation emails there.

I prefer GMail as the servers are better compared to Yahoo. (I did get different email addresses when I went Fiber, but I never used them.)

The equipment on your network should still be the same. Only difference is the additional ONT box.

Apps such as HBO, showtime, that use your Comcast login should still be the same, as I do not think that you can even use the new one because as it would not indicate any subscription services.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  5. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I've got 4 other e-mail addresses in addition to the Comcast one, so mail is not a problem.

Are you using ATT fiber and a Comcast cable card? That's what I want to find out about before I sign a 2 year contract from the ISP and from other posts, I know there are some other people with the same configuration. I can speculate, but I really want to talk to someone who is doing it. No offense intended ThAbtO. I appreciate your reply

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, just OTA.

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    you will still have an account to sign into. check your bill, add tv paks. that user id and password validates what tv you get and tells anyone, yes you subscribe to hbo, and so on

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You may want to add a 3rd question, whether the Xfinity On Demand for TiVo app, which operates via both IP and QAM, will still function in the hybrid setup described.

9. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    XOD requires internet access for the control channel, but it doesn't have to be from Comcast.

krkaufman likes this.