non-broadcast channels that DON'T want copy protection applied?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cwerdna, Jul 5, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Due to the whole FiOS copy protection mess that affected at least folks in areas transitioned over to Frontier Communications (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=450307) that still has no resolution, does anyone know of non-OTA/non-broadcast channels that DON'T want copy protection applied?

I'd imagine that Current TV and HDNet don't want protection. Anyone know of others?

For background, see http://www.tivo.com/copyprotection/. Verizon (now Frontier) customers in WA, OR and probably all areas transitioned over to Frontier now have CP (CCI byte = 0x02) applied to many, but not all non-broadcast stations. I'd rather not spend the time to rehash the whole issue and the strange gaps in the "protection"... (e.g. all of ESPN is "protected" except for ESPNU and ESPNUHD)

The purpose is to try to get more attention raised on this issue at VZ/Frontier and poke holes in their illogical/worthless answers. I've already contacted HDNet and attempted to contact Current TV. If there are others and they're being "protected", I'd like to contact those content providers too.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Good luck! We Tiime Warner customers have been through this and TWC didn't give an inch -- see **this thread** for example. (There have been several other long threads on CCI protection, also.)

The unfortunate fact is the law allows the cable cos to copy protect even if the copyright holder doesn't request it. To add insult to injury the message that TiVo gives (at least for Series 3 models) incorrectly blames it on the copyright holder.

My long range plan is to become part of a growing national trend that will bypass the cable cos altogether for video delivery, although ironically it probably will depend on the same companies for internet delivery. This will mean TiVo isn't needed anymore or will have to take a radically different form. Time shifting, which is TiVo's primary function, isn't needed when you can immediately watch whatever video you want to see, on demand, via internet. There will be no tears shed by me at the demise of cable TV, or the current versions of TiVo -- I've had a lot of grief trying to get the combination to work correctly, with only partial success.

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    "Cable in the Classroom" doesn't want copy protection.

4. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I hear this cry a lot these day. I'm wondering if folks like you will still have access to breaking news stories on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc. with your alternate viewing plans? And will you be able to watch shows live like "Saturday Night Live," "American Idol," "The Oscars," et. al? When will you have access to regular primetime shows? I assume it won't be at the earliest until the day after the original broadcast.

5. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...

Advertisements

The news organizations you mention all have web sites. As does the WSJ, NY Times, Bloomberg, etc. And even if I couldn't get MSNBC, I'd still be able to get the same content and spin from dailykos, wouldn't I? (note, no smiley at end of previous question) :)

Most of the "live" stuff you mention comes in OTA (which unfortunately I have problems with because of multipath). But that also means that you can cut cable down to the cheapest option, which around here is only about $10/mo. That's "a small price to pay" compared to the typical cable bill which is much closer to $100/mo.

I myself do enjoy content from many cable channels, my TiVo provides an easy way to capture those bits for future viewing. So I won't be one of those who cuts the cable any time soon. I'm just providing an alternative viewpoint.

6. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yes, I know that news is still available without television. But I still like to watch some news programs. And yes, I am of the political persuasion to enjoy watching MSNBC and I don't think you can do that without subscribing to cable.

I'm in New York and I don't subscribe through Time Warner and so cannot get local cable news channel New York 1. I would very much like that channel for breaking local news stories but I do without it to have Verizon FIOS. Doing without all of my cable channels, however, just isn't something I'd want to do.

I guess this is a generational thing. I have spent too many decades with television to suddenly go cold turkey. I admit it - I'm an addict. :)

7. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Phantom Gremlin addresses this pretty well above. You can get Saturday Night Live, American Idolotry, The Academy Awards, and most "regular primetime shows" in HD for free with an over the air TV antenna. Free is a pretty good price for HD programming and you get it a fraction of a second sooner than cable and satellite viewers.:p

As for news programming, I can read the articles I care about much faster than waiting for some talking head on TV to get to the point. No, I really don't care about "human interest stories" and I really don't care what the latest diet fad is. Just give me the news I want to know about and get on with it. Print journalism may be dying, but cable news channels (of any political persuasion) are a poor substitute for real journalism.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Interesting discussion guys with some facts indicating the do-without-cable (or sat) situation isn't as bad as one poster thought. But remember in my post I said "my long range plan is...". I think this discussion has already demonstrated the trend toward IP-delivered video content, but I wasn't saying it's a slam dunk in the immediate future. I'm sticking with my TiVo as long as I can stand the glitches.

Sorry for unintentionally hijacking your thread, cwerdna. I do wish you FIOS guys luck fighting the CCI protection. I think it's a long shot but you gotta try!