1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noisy Roamio OTA Fan is too noisy

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tileman99, Dec 3, 2018.

1. tileman99

tileman99 New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Hey im a fairly new TIVO cable cutter and I have noticed the TIVO Roamio OTA has some issues. One is the internal cool air fan being very noisy typically a few months after you first start to use it.
    Many suggest its from a lack of bearing lubrication. So as I can see on youtube there are several videos how to replace the fan and I was wondering how many replaced the fan and what your results are like. Can you recommend a current fan available to purchase? If you lubed up the bearings what was the procedure and how did it work out longterm?

Does anyone mod their unit?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. tileman99

tileman99 New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah I saw the weaknees fans before. Like many of the posters I don't like paying such a premium for a $5 dollar fan. Basically im looking for a fan that has good bearing lubrication. I plan to use old computer screw spacers made from cardboard to insulate the fan from the bracket as I believe some of the noise is being amplified via the aluminum frame. I think im going to lube up the bearings before I replace the entire fan.
    There are some very interesting fan placement mods but given the Roamio OTA's design being slightly curved its hard to mount any fans to the back of the unit where it should be to exhaust the hot air out.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The fan from Amazon (Fan Van) comes with silicon mounting adapters. The object of a Roamio cooling is to cool the ASIC. It will be very cool if you remove the cover and have a fan blow room air toward it.

https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Van-Repl...8492&sr=8-8&keywords=computer+cooling+fan+van

5. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Mine was noisy. I removed the fan, reinstalled it, sprayed it with lubricant, and it was still a noisy for the next 24 hours. Then it went quiet and has been that way for well over a year. I can't explain it.

6. tileman99

tileman99 New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Well I took the fan out and lubricated it, first try being conservative only two drops each side worked for 1 hour. I figured before I make the commitment to buying a new fan I would give the bearings more oil ALOT more oil. Gave it two seconds each side of steady oil. Thought about it and how centrifugal force works to spread the oil outwords possibly onto surrounding circuit boards then I just did it. Installed the fan, whoa what a difference its so quite that I cannot even hear if its on with the case off. The hard drive makes more noise. The oil has not left the fan those bearings must have been so dry they absorbed so much oil they are not releasing it. Im going to run the TiVo for a couple of days to watch for oil leakage. I measured the heat of the fan motor during is bearing screeching and it was 150F after oil applied it measured 72F. I also stuck a temperature probe on the heat sink for the CPU and it only measured 100F granted this was with case top off but im wondering how hot the cpu gets? Does it need the fan which is basically doing little to nothing.

Barnstormer bearings are like that once the oil or lube works its way in they become happy. Its the same thing with the TiVo fan I know from past experience that if I left the fan un lubed for about 1 week the bearings would have gone quite or at least tolerable until I shut the power off then its screeching again.

I used light weight oil back in the day we called it sewing machine oil because its ultra thin. I would not recommend using wd-40 not on bearings anyway.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I just experienced the same issue with the fan. If I were you I would definitely buy the same fan that TiVo used previously, a JMC fan. (To have on hand) I took it out of my 3 plus year old TiVo and it's working like a charm still. And just leave out the bottom two screws so it will be easier to remove the next time.

8. tileman99

tileman99 New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Well that's the trick finding fans that work. Even a good supplier might have a bad day or well try to save a few bucks after making great fans. Its really hard to know who is the best. But until the fan stops rotating because the motor windings are shot im going to lube the bearings before I replace the fan. For all fans in every device. I think the future will see a lot more cost cutting everywhere and more issues with small ten cent items. The way the world is turning.