Noise like a cat

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by HarleyRandom, Apr 29, 2021.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

I was in the room with the Bolt and I heard a noise like some sort of machine. I assumed it was outside but then realized it was inside. I think I traced it to the Bolt.

Whatever it was, the pitch got lower and then it finally quit.

The best way to describe it is the sound a cat makes when its territory is invaded by an enemy cat.

2. CaymanS

CaymanS New Member

Jul 8, 2019
    May be the bearing in the hard drive is going bad.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  3. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I haven't had it long enough for anything like that to be the case. I hope.

4. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Perhaps a fan starting to fail. Hope it's a fan, they are a lot cheaper than hard drives.

5. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

I wouldn't know how to replace either one. Anyway, I haven't heard anything since then. My Roamio is making noise a lot and I have reported on that. So far it seems to be working fine otherwise. I got the Bolt to move the shows to but I managed to fill it up with shows that were already on the Roamio or were recorded later when I didn't have time to watch. And the Roamio is still full. Hopefully summer will mean fewer shows to record.

6. Random User 7

Random User 7 Incognito

Oct 19, 2014
    Did you get some kind of paper work that said it can’t die until you’ve had it long enough :p

PSU_Sudzi and Mr Tony like this.
  7. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    You expect it not to!

However, the Roamio makes a lot of noise and the tech support person said it probably needed replacing. So far, it's mostly working fine. I don't recall if the noise came before the percentage was reduced from 100 to 37 just like that without my deleting anything.

The Bolt has made a new noise. I can only describe it as being similar to when I turned on my old desktop that has since been thrown out. Maybe it was saving something on the hard disk.

8. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Its all ball bearings these days.

CaymanS likes this.