1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No video output...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by charley.rich, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Jul 1, 2018 #1 of 18
    charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    About half the time I turn on the Tivo, I have no video output...just a blue background with audio. The only fix is to repeatedly turn it off and on until I see video output on the TV screen.

I have a Bolt with a FIOS cable card connected using MOCA along with a Samsung TV connected via hdmi to a pioneer receiver.

Sometimes, I get the hdcp error message, but most of the time no error and no video. Sometimes as the TV comes on I see a message from it saying "no sources" but then the screen goes all blue.

I am using the Tivo standard remote to turn on all of the above. I have CEC turned off. I tried it on but that made no difference. I have also disconnected the Tivo and restarted it without any difference.

Any suggestions as this is very frustrating and seems to be happening more frequently.

-Charley

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Jul 1, 2018 #2 of 18
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please explain "turn on the TiVo". It doesn't have a power button.

3. Jul 1, 2018 #3 of 18
    charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    "Turn on the Tivo" in this instance means hit the power button on the remote.

4. Jul 1, 2018 #4 of 18
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Got it. Turn on the TV.

5. Jul 1, 2018 #5 of 18
    charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Is this a joke? My tv is on and properly set the correct input.

6. Jul 1, 2018 #6 of 18
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    No joke, the TiVo is always on. The power button on the remote is to turn on the tv and your receiver. Do you have your TiVo set up to go into standby? I’ve never used that, but maybe that’s an issue.

7. Jul 1, 2018 #7 of 18
    charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    No, it is not set to go into standby. I use the Tivo remote to turn on the TV and the home theater receiver. They both turn on and I hear audio. But half the time the TV shows just a blue screen.

8. Jul 2, 2018 #8 of 18
    davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Sounds like a problem with the HDMI connection. You'll need to figure out where the problem lies. You can try to diagnose by:

Try a different HDMI cable.
    Try connecting a different device with an HDMI connection to the same HDMI port.
    Try using a different HDMI port.

It's not clear to me from your OP (or subsequent) if your TiVo is connected directly to your TV or to your receiver first and then to your TV. If the latter, you'll need to repeat for the connection from the receiver to the TV. Also, try hooking the TiVo directly to the TV instead of through the receiver.

By bet would be that it's a bad cable, but it could be anything along the chain...

9. Jul 6, 2018 #9 of 18
    eki

eki New Member

May 14, 2016
    Please let me know if you find anything. The same thing happened to me earlier this week. On Tuesday I was watching TV and the video started going in and out during the show I was watching. About 10 minutes later the video went all together. Everything else starts up fine and works on the Bolt, including the Mini connection to the DVR to watch My Shows. I tried switching the connections and HDMI cables with no avail. I also noticed when I restart the Bolt the first Tivo screen during boot up is grainy and off-color. After that I no longer see any of the other boot up screens.

On Wednesday I purchased a Bolt Vox. The first thing I tried was using the new power supply from the Bolt Vox on the Bolt. No change.

The Bolt Vox works fine with the same connectors/connection.

10. charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Thanks for your suggestions. I tried a different hdmi cable, but unfortunately I had the same results. I have 2 mini's in different rooms and they do not have this problem.

I switched the cable between the Tivo and the receiver. I didn't try the cable from the receiver to the TV. I guess I should try that. But I am doubtful that will make a difference since when I use a firestick its signal traverses that cable without a problem.

Do I need an hdmi cable that claims to support some standard?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  11. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    My Bolt, hooked to a Westinghouse flat screen TV, does the same thing about 30% of the time. In my case it's the tv set not seeing the TiVo. I turn off the tv and when I turn it back on my TiVo is displayed. There's probably nothing wrong with your TiVo. But, YMMV.

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Did you try a different HDMI port on your TV, as asked? Also try connecting the Tivo directly to the TV, receivers can cause problems. If that fixes the problem, use optical audio from the TV to the receiver to get 5.1 sound if you want it.

13. charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I will try what you suggested. However I didn't understand the rationale behind the optical suggestion. I have a video issue. The audio is fine.

14. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    when
    when connecting the hdmi cable directly to the tv from tivo (for troubleshooting), if you would still prefer audio through your avr, you can run an optical cable directly from the tivo to the avr (for digital audio only).

while this is a good suggestion that works with many setups, i have experienced audio/video sync issues with this setup in the past. if you experience audio/video sync issues, and you are unable to correct them through your avr, check to see if your tv offers digital optical out, another option for digital audio (from your tv to your avr).

15. charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I tried switching to a different hdmi port, but the problem persists. I also tried resetting the TV, unplugging it's power cable and the hdmi cable, but also no luck.

16. davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Do you have another TV that you can try the TiVo on? Assuming you've tried all the different cord/HDMI port combinations are are still seeing the problem, it is then either the TiVo or the TV. Hopefully whichever it is is still under warranty...

17. charley.rich

charley.rich New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I ordered a new cable and I will test it out with that. I had already tried it with the 2 cables I had.

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Again, connect the Tivo directly to the TV first. Bypass the receiver.

NorthAlabama likes this.