No video on Premiere after HD swap! Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by preilly44, Sep 21, 2011.

1. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    Hello all,

I have a Tivo Premiere with lifetime service. I purchased a 2Tb hard drive off Ebay that had the Tivo Premiere SW preinstalled. I installed the drive and it worked perfectly all day the first day I installed it. Then when I tried it the next day I found that the Tivo was in a loop "starting up". Every 3-4 minutes it would reboot instead of moving on with the start up process. After letting it do this for about an hour I power cycled the Tivo. It started up normally doing the "starting up" screen for about 3 minutes then the entire screen became green. I left it sit there for about 15 minutes and it never changed. I then power cycled it again...but it would not give me any video at all. I tried a different HDMI cable, different HDMI port, leaving it unplugged for 24 hours, unplugging the hard drive for 10 minutes then plugging it back in. Still no video.

I then decided to put the original hard drive back in thinking it was a bad hard drive or bad software (maybe a bad software update)....but I get no video with the original hard drive either now. I even tried another TV and component video cables. The Tivo doesn't show any lights when I press buttons on the remote and nothing lights up when I press the format button on the box either.

I did a chat with Tivo and they said they could see the hard drive was changed. At that time I stopped responding because I wasn't sure if I should tell them or not. The TIvo is out of warranty but it still has lifetime service.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? What are my options if it isn't fixable? Should I admit to Tivo that I swapped the hard drive? Please help, my wife is going to kill me if I don't get this working after all the money we spent on it!

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Suggestion made in your duplicate post(Upgrade center).

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    TiVo already knows you had a new HDD in there -- they can look into logs that tell them things like that -- so no point in "pleading the fifth". ;)

With lifetime, you have to fix it. The simplest thing is to keep the original drive installed and put yourself at TiVo's mercy. It might be worth calling Weaknees.com to see what options they offer, but whatever you do, you have to keep the lifefime active.

The worst situation of all would be that the 2 TB drive actually caused this failure, which seems impossible, but ..... ??? In that case as soon as you install it in your fixed (most likely refurbished) TiVo, it will brick it again. Did you deal with DVR_DUDE? Might be worth talking it over with him too.

4. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I will check with Tivo and Weekknees.com to see what they each say the options are.

I spoke to the seller and they are willing to refund my payment when I ship the drive back but didn't have any other ideas. They have over 2000 positive feedbacks and have sold tons of Tivo drives with positive feedback.

Thanks again! If anybody has any thoughts or ideas to try I'd still love to hear them!

5. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    So I spoke to Weekknees.com and they said it would cost $100 to look at it plus an undertermined amount to repair it...if they can fix it. If they can't fix it I still have to pay the $100 and if they can fix it it could be an additional few hundred dollars or more. Since I can get a new unit with lifetime service for $450 from Tivo this doesn't sound like something I want to do.

But before I buy a new one...I'd like to try to contact Tivo to see what my options are. How should I present the situation to them in the best possible light?

Patrick

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Re-install your original drive if you haven't already.
    I would simply tell them what symptoms you have now and see where it goes from there. I would NOT try to cover up having put a new HDD in, or that you've already talked to a rep about it .... but you don't need to mention all those nasty details unless they raise the subject. In any case, ask what options they offer to get a fixed or refurbished unit and keep your lifetime sub. (I don't think they ever actually fix your unit and return it to you --- if they do fix it, it will become a refurbished unit for someone else.) My guess is they will give you a refurbished unit with lifetime for something in the $150 range.

7. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    The original drive is in. I just took it apart and confirmed everything was connected tightly (disconnected and reconnected everything). Unfortunately I had the same results. I guess it's time to call Tivo :(

8. preilly44

preilly44 Member

May 31, 2011
    So I called Tivo and the rep said she couldn't swap it out or do anything. I then asked if a supervisor could do anything so she put me on hold for five minutes then said no. I then asked to speak to a supervisor and they agreed to swap it out for $150 plus tax. Not a bad deal at all. I was honest and upfront about the hard drive swap.

Thanks everybody and Tivo!

9. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I assume, based on your "Thanks", that you're reserved to spend an additional $150...., but you could connect the new drive to your PC, boot up in linux and try to do a disk check to see if things are working. I'm gonna assume that since your original drive is not even working that some hardware (connector damage/bent pin) occurred during your upgrade. Question even the simplest things and assume everything could go wrong. There's just too much evidence here that points to pilot error. It could be a bad solder joint or a drop of sweat that is not preventing your Tivo from working.