No Tuning Adapter - No Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by schmidtbaby, Jan 24, 2009.

1. schmidtbaby

schmidtbaby New Member

Mar 30, 2003

Advertisements

After 10+ years it's time to say GoodBYe..

I am now missing 15+ channels because of these crappy Cable cards

The TWC said that they have no Tuning Adpaters and has no idea when they will have them.

Good Luck Tivo - and why for sake did you choose to go with Cable CARDS and not the way you always did it - by simply controlling a Cable Box?????

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, let's see:

1. Dual Tuners : not practical with an accessory box.

2. Interoperability problems. I would occasionally lose 2 or 3 days' worth of recordings when the cable box would reboot itself and shut down. An IR dongle is anything but reliable.

3. No HD. Recording HD video from a composite source is just now becoming practical, and suffers many issues. Recording HD video from HDMI is not possible.

Without those items, you had may as well stick with a Series II.

As to what "TWTC said", the number of clueless CSRs far exceeds the number who can actually add 2 + 2 and get 4. TWC is currently deploying the TA in a number of markets. I would expect then to be available in virtually all of them within 3 months at the outside. If yoiu want to hasten the process, write a letter to the local franchise authority, and copy the local General Manager.

3. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Why is your cable company taking away channels and not giving you a tuning resolver?

4. schmidtbaby

schmidtbaby New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    No one at TWC can say when or if the Tuning adapters will evern be availabe.

Have you ever tried to get a straight and knowledgeable answer out of TWC. It took my 3 hours get to get a simple issue resolved.

I've simply lost patience.

I'm a big SCi fan and and I can't get ALN or BBC America which show Doctor Who, Lost in Space, etc. because the cable card won't get them.

5. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
  6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Have you noticed Dr Who on Netflix?

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    He did not specifically say they were taking them away. He merely said he could not receive them. It varies from franchise to franchise, but here in San Antonio, they did not take away any channels (other than those removed from the lineup entirely). Rather, all new channels, both HD and SD, are SDV. Their choice was to deliver no new channels at all, or leave UDCP owners out in the cold for a time. If I were the management team, I would have made the same decision.

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No one with whom you spoke could tell you. I assure you there are people in your local franchise who know or at least have a good notion. It's already been rolled out in San Antonio and in Austin, as well as several other markets. It's currently rolling out in Hawaii. I doubt it will be much more than 6 weeks before it is in every market.

Yes. It can be difficult.

Try to figure out where you lost it. The solution is coming down the pipe.

Well, it's not the CableCard. Your TiVo does not know how to request them, and couldn't send the request if it did.

9. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I've always felt that if you are going to paint a picture, that it makes sense to paint in all of the numbered areas. This way everyone can see the whole picture.

You left out an important part in your explanation. When the S3 and TiVo HD were designed, the cable companies did not allow, and had no mechanism in place, for any device, other than their own STBs, to request that data.

10. dmband

dmband Member

Jan 15, 2007
    tw has been doing that for over a yr
    and they lie too

i was told over a yr ago (before i got a tivohd) that ALL channels would work
    i got the box and prob 20 did right from the get go
    since then they dropped 39 more channels (mostly in nov)
    i just yesterday got a ta

the thing that makes me mad is that tivo also told me i will get every channel and then plays stupid when you call and ask about sdv
    if i had only known about this site and all the help before i got the tivo i would have never got it

11. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I thought his message provided balance for the message it was a reply to.

The reality is that this is situation where no one is at fault, even though someone is disappointed.