No TiVos found! by pyTivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by missingwings, May 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    PROBLEM: “No TiVos found!” by pyTivo. I have installed pyTivo (v 1.6.24) on my desktop PC (it was installed in a new folder named “C:\pyTivo\” and the correct 10-digit MAK for the DVR was entered). After installing pyTivo, it automatically launched and after ~one minute, the “No TiVos found!” message came up. I can only assume that this is due to the PC and the DVR not seeing the same network, but I’m at a loss to diagnose the cause(s).

SYSTEM SETUP (see attached .pdf schematic): The TV and internet feeds are sourced from an external Spectrum Cable service coax to the input of a two-way splitter, with one output to an Arris modem (A) and the other output to the MoCA network through a three-way splitter. The modem feeds the internet signal via a (yellow) Cat6 cable to a MikroTik router (B), which is essentially a switch. The MikroTik router supplies an internet signal via a (green) Cat6 cable to a TiVo Roamio Pro (C) and it also supplies an internet signal via a (red) Cat6 cable to a TP-Link Archer C8 router (D), which is essentially an Access Point. My Desktop PC (E) communicates wirelessly with the TP-Link router. The MoCA network is distributed to three points: (1) the TiVo; (2) up to (and blocked by) a MoCA filter ahead of a Tuning Adapter (F); and (3) two TiVo Mini’s.

MikroTik Note: This router has no Wi-Fi capabilities – basically a switch fed by the Arris modem.
    TiVo Notes: Software version 21.9.7.v7-840-6-840. Connection type: MoCA Bridge (MoCA + Ethernet). The Roamio Pro is interfaced with two legacy Mini’s via MoCA.
    Desktop PC Notes: Running Windows 10 Pro. Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter is a TP-Link TL-WDN4800. Typical latency is 20 ms with 70-110 Mbps download.

I am far from network-savvy, but I had assumed that since both the DVR and the PC have some common connectivity (i.e. the MikroTik) and a supposedly common gateway (192.168.88.1), that they would effectively be on the same network.

Question 1. Does this setup meet the pyTivo requirement for the TiVo DVR and the PC to be on the same network?
    Question 2. If the answer to Q1 is No, what changes need to be made to satisfy that requirement?
    Question 3. If the answer to Q1 is Yes, what other hardware or software issue(s) could be preventing pyTivo from discovering the Roamio Pro?

I suppose one obvious solution might be to connect the DVR via Wi-Fi, but I’d prefer to keep an Ethernet connection for reliability. Surely it’s possible to use pyTivo with a wireless PC connection and with a wired TiVo connection.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:

DEVICE (SEE ATTACHMENT) MAC ADDRESS* IP ADDRESS GATEWAY .
    A (Arris Modem).......................38|4C|90|A3|39|1D**..192.168.0.1
    B (MikroTik ‘Switch’).................6C|3B|6B|2D|FA|C2......Unknown***..........192.168.0.1
    C (TiVo DVR)............................00|11|D9|5B|7A|44...192.168.88.247.........192.168.88.1
    D (TP-Link Wireless Router/AP)...50|C7|BF|2E|9F|AC...192.168.88.241****..192.168.88.1****
    E (TP-Link Network Adapter)......50|3E|AA|46|F7|03....192.168.0.143...........192.168.0.1

* MAC Addresses are probably not relevant, but included just in case
    ** This is the Modem’s ‘CABLE MAC,’ the ‘LAN MAC’ 38|4C|90|A3|39|1C
    *** Cannot access the MikroTik via the ‘Winbox’ utility, as I do not have the correct IP Address
    and/or password (apparently Spectrum has changed the defaults)
    **** IP Address & Default Gateway (per route portal>Advanced tab>Network>Internet)

Attached Files:

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Most of the time this is caused by the firewall on your PC. Try temporarily disabling it and then completely shutting down pyTivo, even the tray app, and restarting it. If that works then you need to figure out how to poke holes in your firewall for it. If you're using Windows built in firewall it should have asked the first time you ran pyTivo, so you may need to uninstall and reinstall to get that prompt. If you're using something else then you'll need to Google it.

3. jhhyde

jhhyde Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Sammamish, WA
    Your desktop and your TiVo need to be on the same subnet to see each other. That means the first three numbers of their respective IP addresses must be the same.

I assume your desktop has an IP address like 192.168.0.something and your TiVo seems to have 192.168.88.247. The TiVo needs a 192.168.0.something or your desktop needs a 192.168.88.something.

The important thing, the first three portions of both address need to be identical. Either 192.168.88 or 192.168.0. I would try to make it the TiVo into a 192.168.0 because that is also the address of your gateway.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not necessarily true. I set up a managed Ubiquiti network recently. I stuck all my TiVo gear on their own VLAN with 172.16.100.x and my PC is on my main network that's 172.16.1.x and pyTivo is able to see them just fine. It doesn’t work with zeroconf turned off, but it does with it on. I enabled mDNS reflection in the controller, so that may be what's allowing it to work.

5. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    You are using a class B IP addresses which means they are on the same subnet. OP is using class C IP adressess.

compnurd likes this.
  6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    OK now I'm curious, what does this mean. I'm not a network expert and have been learning as I setup the Ubiquiti network. Are you saying that all addresses in the 172.16.x.x are always considered to be in the same subnet even when the subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0? That could have some implications for the security of my network if true.

7. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Default class B network mask is 255.255.0.0. Since you started with a class B IP address range and have a class C network mask, you are fine. OP started with a class C IP address range. I'd assume their network mask is 255.255.255.0, but it could be divided into multiple subnets too.

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    OK, so then my original statement still applies. My Ubiquiti router seems to be able to allow the TiVo and PC to communicate even though they are on different subnets. I assume this is because of the mDNS repeater option, but again I'm not an expert so can't say for sure. I just know it does work.

Edit: Just to show you...

TiVo IP Addresses.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2020