No TiVo Tonight ... Stuck on Welcome

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bgood, Oct 9, 2007.

1. bgood

bgood New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Hoping all the great folks here will have some suggestions.

We turned on our DirecTV Hughes Series 2 TiVo tonight and saw the "Welcome. Powering Up" screen. The unit worked great as recently as this morning. I've tried rebooting and here's what we get every time:
    It sits on the Welcome screen for 25 minutes
    Goes to the Almost There screen for 2 minutes
    Then stops sending any signal to the TV
    2 minutes later the green light on the TiVo front panel goes out.

Our son's upgraded this unit for us several months ago using the weaknees extra drive/additional fan kit and a huge Maxtor drive. The expansion gave us 270 hours of capability. I checked the internal temp several times and it was always around 41 or 42 degrees.

Any suggestions on what we can do to recover this?

Thanks, bgood

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    It sounds like your son added the second drive to the system and the original drive died. If this is the case you could go back to a single drive system using your new drive. If i were you I would order Instantcake from DVRupgrade and put a new image on the new drive. Instantcake retails for under $20.00. I would use the original mounting bracket that came with the TiVo. Good Luck :)

3. chuckg

chuckg New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Berkeley
    Disconnect the power cord (110 VAC) for 30 seconds.

4. bgood

bgood New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. After my post the TiVo unit actually 'successfully' booted twice after leaving it unplugged for a bit. The first boot everything ran extremely slow. I tried to play an archived show and it crashed and rebooted. It ran through a couple of reboot cycles and booted again. This time I just let live TV run and it ran for 20-30 minutes before it crashed.

RBTRAVIS - Am I correct in assuming that using Instantcake will wipe out all of shows we have stored?

5. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Yes, If the primary drive has gone bad you probably have lost them anyway. The show pointers are stored on the first drive and all data(shows) are stored on the first and second drive. I was attempting to get your Tivo working for the lowest cost to you. If you want to spend some money you can buy the same size drive or slightly larger. Mirror the drive. then use the new drive to replace the old drive. This would probably retain your recordings. The risk is up to you. It should work if the old drive is in perfect condition(unflawed data). Good luck on whatever you decide.

6. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    If your son is pretty computer savvy he might run spinrite ( www.spintrite.com ) on the drive and repair errors enough so he may be able to copy your failing drive to a new one. rbtravis can tell you what to do after that. Good Luck

7. chuckg

chuckg New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Berkeley
    This in SpinRite URL
    http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

8. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    if you're not concernerd with saving recordings, you maight pull the drives and use MFS tools to make a backup image and try restoring it to a different harddrive.

9. bgood

bgood New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions. We've ordered Instantcake, and several of their other really cool sounding packages along with their USB/RJ45 adapter to put the rebuilt TiVo unit onto our network. We took a look at Spinrite and it sounds like a great product but we decided we'd rather put the money into new capabilities rather than into recovery software. We will try and run some drive diagnostics/repair tools that came with our newer drive just in case it can be fixed with one of those but it sounds like I can pretty much give up on the original drive. When this is all over, we'll hopefully still have over 200 hours of storage plus we'll be able to move files around on the network rather than having to record them onto the computer via our EvolutionTV box.

bgood