No Tivo remote commercial skip possible anymore

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by doobs, Sep 10, 2007.

1. doobs

doobs New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    I've not been able to program my tivo remote to skip commercials (30 second skip) anymore. I've tried at least 10 times to program it the way I always have (Select, Play, Select, 3, 0, Select) but it just won't work. I've taken the batteries out of the remote, waited a couple of minutes and then put them in again, but nothing seems to work.

Is this happening to anyone else? And no, there's nothing broken about this Tivo remote. :confused:

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Works fine on my DirecTV TiVos (HR10, T60, & DSR6000).

Although it can be done with live TV, it works better if you are watching a recording.

Oh yeah, what model TiVo do you have?

BTW, you aren't programming the remote for 30s skip, just the way the unit itself responds to the advance button.

3. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    I assume you were playing something from your now playing list? I don't think it works while watching live tv or on a menu.

Do you hear beeps registering the keypresses when you're pressing the buttons? On some models a light changes colors when an infrared remote signal is received. Does yours do that?

4. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    My R10 and SD-DVR40 both can 30 sec skip after the 6.3e update.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Still working fine on the S2, S3, and HD here.

6. jstaso

jstaso Member

Mar 8, 2004
    When we got our power back after a power outage, my TiVo wouldn't program the 30-second skip either until I had the TiVo do a reset. It worked after that.

7. dspilatro

dspilatro New Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Santa...
    i lost my skips too. and the - s, p, s, 3, 0, s - doesn't work either.
    should i do i reset?

8. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    First recommendation in any tech support issue is to reboot, so I would say try it and see what happens after that.

9. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I've often found that adding an extra play helps, and I can hit it every time.

Play-Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select.

I always do this while playing a recorded program,
    I don't however always get the sound effects, on my HR10 and S3 I record only HD content which is in 5.1 Dolby audio, sound effects can't play during 5.1 audio.

Same thing with the R10, if I'm playing something I've recorded from HBO or SHO I often don't get the effects due to the 5.1 Dolby sound.

I've yet to encounter a problem setting the 30 second skip on any of my TiVo's.

phox

10. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Fact: That sequence programs the TiVo to change its behavior with the ->| key.
    If those keys individually work on the TiVo, the sequence should work on nearly all TiVos, the SD-H400 excepted, as it has no actual ->| key..

11. dspilatro

dspilatro New Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Santa...
    i tried all of the above suggestions - reboots & p-s-p..etc & s-p-s...etc., and nothing works. does anyone have any other ideas?

12. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    With the latest Tivo software, the select-play-select-3-0-select code no longer works on recorded programs. You need to enter it while watching a timeshifted (not recorded) program.

Go to the guide, select a live channel, hit instant replay, and then type in the code.

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Which level of software are you referring to? SPS30S works fine for me in recorded programs.

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    That's odd, I could have sworn it didn't for me in 8.1.7c2.

In any case, if you have trouble applying the code in recorded programs, try it in a timeshifted program.

15. delphinus1966

delphinus1966 New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I have 2 S2DT's and an S2. All are working with the 30 second skip for me.

16. Jerry Keller

Jerry Keller Go USA!

Jan 27, 2001
    SoCal, USA
    Took me many tries to "get it right" tonight on my Series 2. I haven't looked at the others, yet.

17. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Works fine for me in recordings - I always enter it there. SPS30S, SPS9S, even SPSIRS

18. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    At the risk of overstating/ repeating, anytime my Tivo loses power or reboots I have to do the select/ play/ 3/ 0/ select "dance."

It's works on live TV for me on both DTivo and S2s. The one problem with doing it live with a SA Tivo is it changes to channel 30, so if you have DBS and there is no channel 30 sometimes you have to go to the DBS box or DBS remote to get it back on track with Tivo. My Dish receiver is a PITA about that. Obviously DTivo doesn't have that issue since it is the DBS receiver so you can just enter a channel number, though I usually just hit the enter key and go back to the previous channel.

So yea, it's less confusing to be in a recorded show to do the dance but it will work live as well.

19. Jerry Keller

Jerry Keller Go USA!

Jan 27, 2001
    SoCal, USA
    I think you left out a "select" in there.

20. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Huh? What's the difference between a "recorded" program and a "timeshifted" program? :confused: If it's timeshifted, it's been recorded hasn't it?