No Tivo recording since switching phone service to Via Talk

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ky1949, Jul 26, 2007.

1. ky1949

ky1949 New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Can someone please help me? We switched to Via Talk about two weeks ago. We have Comcast high speed internet and cable.

Why aren't we able to record any more programming? For some reason, it says "no dial tone."

Thanks, Dee

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I am unfamiliar with Via Talk, but if this is a VoIP service, many TiVos have trouble making calls over VoIP. Can your TiVo connect to your home network? (Does it have a USB port on the back?) If so, you can buy a supported network adapter and connect that way (the TiVo Wireless G adapter is good.)

3. Alarmcluck

Alarmcluck New Member

Aug 5, 2006
    If it's VoIP the message might be absolutely correct; your service might not use a real dialtone. I agree with Steve. A network connection is faster, cheaper, and more reliable in the long run.

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Did I read that correctly, you have High speed internet and are still connecting using dial-up :confused:

Broadband Connect Your TiVo DVR

5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Via Talk is VOIP Broadband Phone Services
    Other then not being able to use it for Dial-Up How is Via Talk working for you? I have been using Vonage for several years now with no regrets.

6. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Via Talk is a reasonably good, inexpensive, and reliable VOIP service with a huge feature set.

Their one weakness is that their CODEC(s) do not seem to be very reliable for digital transmission of any type so TiVo's daily call is, at best, problematical. There are many settings that can be tried but the reliability, for me at least, was never high and I gave up and switched to PPP over serial for my TiVo calls.

As others have said, if you have a series 2, you can use a USB Ethernet adapter and get your updates over the internet directly.

With a series 1 you have a few options:
    1: A turbonet card which allows a wired connection to the internet through your router.
    2: An Airnet card which is like the turbonet but connects wirelessly.
    3: PPP over serial. This requires a computer nearby running XP or Win 2000 (Vista "might" work) with an internet connection. (PPP works on a series 2 as well)

PPP is what I use for two of my TiVos while I have a turbonet card in my other.

I currently have Via Talk for my phone service but that is all I use it for. I will be dropping Via Talk soon as I have discovered that Skype, with Skype out and Skype in will serve all my home phone needs for about 1/3 of the cost.