No Thumbs on Hydra??

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Davelnlr_, May 15, 2019.

1. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...

Advertisements

I wanted to do some fine tuning on the suggestions (thumbs down stuff I dont like, and thumbs up some shows I like). I downloaded the hydra manual, and there does not appear to be any way to use the thumbs buttons for anything except confirming a reboot. There is a suggestions on/off toggle, but nothing I can find for teaching it.

Is this just hydra, or has it been removed in the Bolt+ Vox completely? Curious why one of the only DVRs to offer this feature, would remove it.

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Hydra has eliminated the use of thumbs. Possibly the old TE3 UI as well at this point, not sure. They see their current algorithm that bases suggestions on what you watch (without extra guidance from the user) as a improvement... but I'm sure that's subjective.

3. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    TE3 happily still has thumbs. I use them all the time on shows, rating up or down suggestions it determined I wanted, etc.

I find letting it suggest, then I fine tune with thumbs good.

I also still use pytivo, and transfer this recording. I think it is a shame what features are being removed. The old web stuff auto recording like shows but from web casts was a great feature

Sigh

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I used to use that feature with Internet tech webcasts and it was great, for the short time I was aware of and could use the capability. It made a nice, seamless integration between web "broadcasts" and television--they just became another show.

leiff likes this.
  5. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...

Advertisements

I think I tried when I got this Bolt+ Vox to revert to the TE3 and it wouldn't work. Might have done it wrong. Now have Bolt and two Minis using the Hydra, so probably not worth going back just for thumbs, as I would guess I would lose all recordings and Onepass settings.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep--need to save them before sidegrading. Need to save thumbs and OnePasses via kmttg first (easy to do--can also save channel lineup) and shows via pyTivo Desktop/pyTivo or kmttg (also easy but takes PC time).

7. Todd

Todd Gee thanks Jeremy...

Oct 7, 1999
    Coastal...
    Even though suggestions haven't been working particularly well, I'm shocked that they got rid of the thumbs up/down! That's been a major feature since the beginning...

8. Jun 4, 2019 #8 of 20
    leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Thumbs was useful to me to remind me if I've seen something or not since every time you record a program it would automatically get thumbs up

9. Jun 6, 2019 #9 of 20
    dmeyer

dmeyer New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    IN
    I noticed today all my thumbs ratings are gone and the thumbs up/down buttons no longer do anything on a show.

This is kind of a bummer, as I want the Suggestions to take in my thumbs ratings as a "hey, I like that show, you might try recording similar shows that I haven't watched."

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    You can get “you may also like” on a program by program basis under more info. It isn’t aggregate or automatic but it may help. I typically find those kind of references on other sources to be of little help. But you can check it out and see if you like it.

11. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    tony but that does not let you customize it to your liking. You are explaining how you can see what tivo is going to do, but you cant set it.

I used to actually go through the sugestions iin my tivo s3 and up or down arrow everything in there. It took a day but the suggestions were right on.

I do NOT want to see what tivo thinks I want, I really want to set them.

Between this thumbs thing, removal of pytivo support and not allowing transfer a show from one tivo to another, I'll stay with TE3.

I use a Roku for anything not dvr related

Mikeguy likes this.
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Solution found. Thank you, TiVo, for making the new experience upgrade optional.

13. teavaux

teavaux New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Opposable thumbs are one of the major things that made humans human, and made Tivo Tivo.

I moved to Hydra and I'm not moving back, but the lack of live guide and thumbs, replaced by a user experience that works against the remote (lots of now useless large buttons, but we keep having to hunt for the tiny "back" and "info" buttons...) make me wonder whether Hydra really means "many heads, no brains" o_O

14. Tucson Tom

Tucson Tom New Member

Jun 7, 2019
    I truly miss the thumbs feature. It reminds me not to manually record shows I don't like and keeps tivo suggestions from recording junk. I hope they bring it back SOON!!

hairyblue likes this.
  15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I know but one of the things mentioned was finding like programming based on a show. That is how you do it. Or do you think TiVo somehow intuited if you thumbed something up that you would like something else other than doing the same kind of show matching. TiVo is going to “think” based upon something you like no matter what method is used.

16. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Reverted back to TE3 and everything works great again.

17. Tucson Tom

Tucson Tom New Member

Jun 7, 2019
    How did you go back a version?

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    krkaufman likes this.
  19. xjonx

xjonx New Member

Oct 7, 2006
    As of 9/26/20 this is still the case. Your choices are to have suggestions on, and only have child molester bait children's programs recorded or nothing. The thumbs buttons are for "troubleshooting purposes only".

20. JashuaPatricio

JashuaPatricio New Member

Dec 22, 2016