No suggestions in a month

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Slider10, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1 of 10
    Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

All,

I noticed a few days ago that my TiVo hasn't recorded any suggestions in quite a while. After realizing this, I made sure suggestion recording was on and it was. I toggled it off and then on again. I then went to the TiVo Suggestions area of Find Programs and it was blank. It only had text in it about how Suggestions work. I'm really not sure what happened here.

I upgraded my TiVo HD with a new internal drive but I copied over all my season passes and thumbs. My TiVo has recorded suggestions after the upgrade, so I don't think that's related. I have a pretty extensive Thumbs database, so it's not like any of my shows have no thumbs.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused this? I'd hate to have to dump my thumbs list and re-thumb things and then that might not work either. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Sep 8, 2009 #2 of 10
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Are you using a Tuning Adapter?

If so, that appears to be the culprit.

3. Sep 8, 2009 #3 of 10
    Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yes I have a tuning adapter. How would that cause no suggestions to be recorded or listed in that menu? I'm not debating that it could cause it but I'm not sure how.

4. Sep 8, 2009 #4 of 10
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Honestly I don't know why. I wish I did. I'd love to hear how its all tweaked .. but if search you'll find many threads touching on this issue .. including one I started. It seems to always come down to .. TA = Screwed up suggestions.

The *only* connection that I'm aware of between the two is that for some unfortunate reason (deals with cable co's) .. suggestions aren't supposed to cause a tune to a Switched Digital Channel. (They want as little traffic on the SDV's as possible so they don't want to allow unattended recordings to happen).

How that translates to the entire search engine failing .. or working once a month for a few days and then dead again for awhile, I have no idea.

I'd love to see a post saying they're working on it.

5. Sep 8, 2009 #5 of 10
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL

Advertisements

I get very few suggestions recorded as compared to before I had a TA. Hopefully TiVo will be fixing this soon. I used to get 10 a day... now I dont even get 10 a month. Both my TiVo's exhibit this suggestions lethargy.

6. Sep 8, 2009 #6 of 10
  7. Sep 8, 2009 #7 of 10
    MirclMax

MirclMax Ancient Member

Jul 12, 2000
    That post gives a good explanation as to why a suggestion on an SDV channel doesn't get recorded. It doesn't however explain why the Suggestions Page will be blank for a month at a time, and then have a burst for 4 days (on non-SDV channels) .. and then go back to being blank.

IF the TiVo is smart enough to know which channel is SDV and which isn't (when generating a list of Suggestions) .. then I would expect to see a normal page full of suggestions on non-SDV channels (just like you get every once in awhile now) ..

On the other hand, if it doesn't know until it tries to tune it .. I would expect the Suggestion Page to be full of normal suggestions .. and when it tries to record one on an SDV channel it would fail .. and move on from there.

Having a completely blank Suggestions Page indicates *something* else is up.

8. Sep 8, 2009 #8 of 10
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Exactly... The TA has a scheme that would allow it to deny access to a stream for speculative recording... but that shouldnt impact the population of the suggestions page with 'target' shows to record.

9. Oct 2, 2009 #9 of 10
    jdonald643

jdonald643 New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I am having the same problem. TIVO hasn't recorded a suggestion since August 8th. Ironically that is when I reattached my tuning adapter (Cablevision) and it finally started to work right. Is the only solution unplugging the tuning adapter? Any word form TIVO on a possible fix?

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Interesting. Glad I found this thread... I was just about to complain about the suggestions on my TiVo HD that, yes, has a tuning adapter hooked up. The suggestion feature is completely useless... it suggests very, very few programs, and the ones that are suggested are horrible and have absolutely nothing in common with anything I've thumbed up.

If the suggestion feature is this badly broken by the tuning adapter, the software should just automatically turn it off when one is hooked up, rather than keeping it going making it LOOK like it's doing something productive when it's clearly not.

Now that I know that the suggestions are "broken by design," I've turned them off on mine. Disappointing, but at least now I know.