No sounds with remote in HD menus?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by marckb, Nov 3, 2011.

1. marckb

marckb New Member

Oct 21, 2011
    As a former Series 1 and DirecTivo owner, and a new owner of a Tivo Premiere, I'm not sure if the following is a "feature" of the Premiere or a bug:

When I move around in the first Tivo HD menus (before I go deep enough in the menus that they revert to the old look), my movement does not result in any of the little Tivo sound effects that give me aural feedback. No little "click click" sounds as I move up and down ... No "bloo-blip!" when I select something.

Also, when I fast-forward or rewind, I get no audio feedback here either.

Until yesterday, I assumed that this was a conscious decision on Tivo's part. But for a FEW MINUTES yesterday, all of a sudden, I was getting sound effects in all these cases. But a few minutes later, I was moving around menus again and the sound effects had disappeared.

Once I move into menus that take over the entire screen (without the picture-in-menu feature in the upper-right corner), the sound effects are back. But in those top-level menus ... nothing.

So is this SUPPOSED to be that way? Or is something wrong? I've searched the menus and can't find a way to turn this feature on. (The sound effects volume setting in the Settings menus is set to "HIGH.") Am I missing something?

(I'm sorry -- I'm not at home, so I don't have what version of the software I'm currently running, but I can supply that if it's key to a solution.)

2. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    It's the digital audio choice. Change from Dolby to PCM. IIRC, the device can't inject audio on Dolby. (or the other way around.)

3. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Are we talking about a regular Premiere or an Elite?

4. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Definitely sounds like the dreaded bug.

5. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Yup, sounds like it. But only if it's an Elite. If he's not actually using DD, switching to PCM will fix it. But if he's actually using DD, he'll have to wait for a bug fix like the rest of us. I just hope that they're actually working on a fix for this. So far, I haven't been able to get anyone at TiVo to acknowledge that this is even a problem.

6. marckb

marckb New Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It's just a regular Premiere, not an Elite. And netringer's suggestion worked perfectly: I went to the Digital Audio settings and changed the option from "Digital Audio" to "Digital Audio to PCM." I now have remote sound effects everywhere throughout the menus.

Thanks again to the forums for the solution.

7. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    What software version do you have?

Also, a bug for the Premiere as that shouldn't happen.

8. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    As I understand it, it's not a bug. It's part of the technical way Dolby works, or the requirmeents for a Dolby license. There's no way for the device along the chain - the TiVo between the content and the output- to change the signal.

9. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sound effects in the HD menus have worked for me with it set to DD. In the past I've experienced issues where those sound effects would be lost until the user visited an SD menu and then they would be restored when navigating the HD menus. As I understand it this is a known bug.