No sound while recording from VCR

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by jeff107, Nov 27, 2006.

1. jeff107

jeff107 New Member

Nov 24, 2006

Advertisements

I got a Toshiba Tivo DMS two months ago, since then I have been recording my VHS collection to DVD, but last week, right after I received the fall software update from Tivo, the sound does not record from the tapes. Video is still OK. I checked the VCR by disconnecting from the DMS and it plays both sound and video, so the problem is in the Toshiba box. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    I noticed something similar with my Humax DRT800 on Thanksgiving. Plugging in a relative video camera we were able to get video but no audio. We ended up plugging it directly into the TV instead.

Other DVD users, try your composite video and RCA audio front panel inputs, are they still working?

3. pan4life

pan4life New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Mine stopped working as well after the update, RS-TX20. I have posted this in a couple of different threads, sorry for the multiples but I am just hoping the right person sees this and can fix it. I sort of need this to be working soon. Thanks!

4. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    I will test my rear panel connectors today or tomorrow. I need to know if they still work or stopped working too. If you can do the same, please give it a try.

CuriousMark

[Edit] Rear works, front doesn't on a DRT-800 Humax DVD Burner TiVo. TiVo Jerry has been made aware of this issue.

CM

5. pan4life

pan4life New Member

Sep 20, 2006

Advertisements

That was the first thing I did, and it works fine. The rear composite is how my cable box is hooked up and I see and hear everything fine. It's just the MUCH more convenient front input that has stopped working. Please don't let this be something that takes forever to fix because not that many people use the feature. I upgraded my main TiVo to a S3 but I kept this burner unit specifically for this feature!

6. pan4life

pan4life New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    It would be really great if someone from tech support could look into this, thanks!

7. rickydee

rickydee New Member

Nov 21, 2006
    I have a Humax DRT-800 and had tried to transfer something from VHS to the tivo, but noticed that my sound wasn't working (it had worked only a week earlier so I investigated further). It seemed too coincidental that after the Tivo took the update on 11/21 the front audio inputs no longer pass the audio through to record from VHS or camera.

I called tivo customer service and was advised that they couldn't help me because it was a Humax issue. I called Humax customer service and they pointed me back to Tivo since they didn't have anything to do with the software update. Nevermind how clueless the first level folks were at both places. Tivo basically said "so sorry" and advised I return it to Humax !!! I could spend $240 to get a replacement from Humax that when it takes the update will have the same problem. Eventually spoke to a Tivo supervisor who was great with empathizing, but still raised the issue that unless others had this problem there probably would be no one getting back to me! She then realized I had upgraded my hard drive and thus was saying they can help me with a hacked Tivo! Unreal lack of help and so many excuses! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I'm trying hard to be a Tivo fan but when the update they provide causes you to lose time and $, and you try to help alert them to the problem, you can't help but wonder if someone is asleep at the switch. Thankfully this forum exists!!

Please let's all make enough noise so they fix this problem - it was the reason I bough the Humax unit in the first place and getting to the back panel isn't easy in my current setup.

8. pan4life

pan4life New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    It definately is tough for first level folks to process new issues - it seems the same across most companies. I do understand because I worked helpdesk earlier in my career that people call up with all kinds of ridiculous problems that are imagined and whatnot, and tons of issues that are out of your control/not your problem, but they need to leave room for the possibility that someone is reporting a REAL new problem and investigate it. It's also very frustrating when someone in customer service will try any excuse in the book to get you off the phone.

If you do decide to call back, mention that it is NOT a hardware problem or even a software problem limited to one model or brand. It's a software issue with the latest update and it affects Humax and Toshiba thus models so far. I have a Pioneer at home that I'll try, I'm pretty sure it will be affected too.

TiVo tech support, HELP.

9. Dec 1, 2006 #9 of 69
    kzamora

kzamora New Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Problem confirmed - same issue with my Toshiba TX-20. I recorded a program only 3 days before Thanksgiving with no issues but after the upgrade, no audio.

What is the best way to report this problem...just call Tivo?

10. kzamora

kzamora New Member

Oct 28, 2005
    BTW, is there a way to go back to the previous version of the software?

11. VanGoghLikesTivo

VanGoghLikesTivo New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    I just tested this with my Humax DRT-400 and I have the same problem. I get no audio from the front inputs and audio works fine from the back inputs. Everything worked fine from the front inputs before the update.

12. CuriousMark

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    The front panel connectors work fine if the video input source is S-Video and you choose front panel S-Video and audio during transfer setup. Knowing this I thought I would try to fake it out. I selected front panel audio and S-video but used the composite video input instead. I got nothing with that setup, no video or audio and no recording. So it is working correctly for that combination and won't let me fake it out.

For those with S-Video sources it is good to know that at least that works fine.

Mark

13. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Unfortunately (for times like this), no.

14. Swisher

Swisher New Member

May 12, 2000
    New York,...
    Add another Humax DRT-800 to the list. I've been recording almost every day through the front composite inputs, but the day after the upgrade I lost audio on the front.

TiVo - THIS IS A REAL SOFTWARE ISSUE! Your help is needed. :mad:

15. STTF

STTF New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Not easily as far as I know.

16. pan4life

pan4life New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Ok TiVo, let's not drop the ball on this, this is a major feature disruption, let's have a fix now for DVD models. Yes it's not as bad as if Season Pass had stopped working, but we use this feature and need it to work. I've given TiVo a LOT of my money, I have 2 Series 3's for example, I'm sure many others feel the same way, FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT!

Or at the very least, let's have an apology - we're working on it kind of statement.

17. boojiboy

boojiboy New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Has anyone tried unplugging and rebooting the Tivo unit?

18. pan4life

pan4life New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    yes

19. kzamora

kzamora New Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I don't quite understand your statement " The front panel connectors work fine if the video input source is S-Video and you choose front panel S-Video and audio during transfer setup" .... I hope you are just saying the S-Video is ok. I know the composite video is ok. But I haven't been able to get the composite audio to record and I don't think anyone else has either. Haven't tried the DV input but I presume that works because that is all digital.

Kevin

20. kzamora

kzamora New Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Hey guys,

just got off the phone with a Tivo supervisor. I told him all the issues and he agreed (unofficially) that it sounded like a software problem. He talked with the engineers , took down all my info. , gave me a case number and he promised he would get back with me within the next several weeks to report the progress. Of course it will take some time. At least, they officially recognised it.

So I'm glad you all chimed in otherwise I might think it was my unit alone....DON'T SEND YOUR UNIT IN FOR REPAIR ! TOSHIBA/HUMAX/PIONEER WON'T BE ABLE TO FIX IT!. JUST WAIT FOR MY RESPONSE AND I'LL KEEP YOU UPDATED.......that said, I'm somewhat doubtful that it will be fixed anytime soon? ...considering the last update was a year ago? I hope not! THE ONLY THING YOU GUYS COULD DO IS ALSO CALL IN , TALK TO A SUPERVISOR, GET A CASE NUMBER AND REPORT THE SAME ISSUE......the more reported cases the better and conceivably higher priority for being fixed. Be prepared to wait on the phone however.