No sound on TIVO Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Craig in EC, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Craig in EC

Craig in EC New Member

Sep 16, 2018
    I lose audio when I pause a TV show, play a recording, or try to stream from Prime Video. Turning on TIVO and TV for live TV- audio works fine. I have changed HDMI ports on TV without resolution. I have rebooted Bolt with no improvement. When I switch back to live TV from recording or streaming, sound is gone. When I turn off TV and back on- usually still no sound. Sometime later, live TV has audio again.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. sstudulski

sstudulski New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Similar problem here. However, rebooting the Bolt does bring back the sound for me. An additional problem for me is that I cannot reboot through the interface. I go to Help -> Restart Box and press OK and nothing happens (nothing also happens if I press the right arrow). I have to manually unplug the Bolt to get it to reboot. Very frustrating.

I tried the solutions mentioned in the following link, but only rebooting works for me.
    No sound. Tivo bolt

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. Markus57

Markus57 New Member

Mar 13, 2015
    I've experienced this on a Roamio with the new UI interface. I found going to Settings>Audio and toggling from Dolby to PCM brings the sound back. Then toggling back to Dolby, it works for a day or 2 until it happens again.

4. sstudulski

sstudulski New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestion Markus!

I tried the toggling from Dolby to PCM and back, as well as the other techniques discussed here:
    No sound. Tivo bolt
    but none of them worked for me (other than a system restart) :-(

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I get a variation of the sound issue with my Bolt on TE3 (I believe it happened on a Roamio as well): I get a burst of static sound (it may be caused by my pressing remote buttons too quickly for the box) after which I lose TiVo sound effects. The fix is the above: going into the sound settings, switching from PCM to Dolby (I'm a PCM guy), exiting all the way out of settings (I just go to the regular TV screen), and then repeat, switching back to PCM. In my testing with this, I have to fully exit out of the TiVo screens (or at least out of the settings screens).