no sound from coaxial input (analog cable)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rutt, Jul 29, 2006.

1. rutt

rutt New Member

Jul 29, 2006

Advertisements

I'm on analog cable and my tivo recently stopped producing audio on new programs or live TV. I can hear tivo sounds (beeps when I navigate menus), and can also hear audio on pre-recorded material (or the CNET program I get every Friday), but live TV and new recordings I make have no sound. I've tried new coax cables and they work fine straight through to the TV but not through the Tivo. I contacted tivo support (I'm lifetime but out of warranty) and they concluded it was a bad RF input mechanism. I was told I could do a one time replacement box for $149. They also suggested a coax-to-RCA-cable converter, if I could find one, to try using the RCA inputs instead on the back of my Tivo. Problem is, there is no such device. It would be like an RF de-modulator. I don't think it exists; Radio Shack suggested trying a VCR but I couldn't get that to work (my VCR has RCA in (mono) and RCA out (mono)).

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks.

(Tivo Series 2 240 series)

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Maybe you could try your cable company's cable box as an input using the composite connections?

The reason a VCR wouldn't work is that the TiVo has no way to control it. Same goes with any cable converter box you might find.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Try the VCR audio out, despite it being mono.

4. nyijedi

nyijedi New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Does the sound come back if you change channels, or has it just gone completely out (I"m assuming it's totally out)? My friend and I have both noticed an issue that just started on Friday. Our tivos will stop producing sound from the show (although tivo sounds will work), and a channel change will solve the problem. I've had little issues in the past (i.e. tinny/hollow audio after changing a channel) that were a result of the tivo software, and these have all been fixed in the next update of the software. Has anyone else noticed the problem I'm describing over the past few days?