No Skip Mode on Late Night

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by John7777, Aug 10, 2019.

1. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I know it's hit and miss sometimes with the skip mode, but for the past two nights the skip mode option disappeared from the late night talk show hosts that start after the news at 10.
    Anyone have any info. on this? It always scares me that some shows might start blocking tivos from skipping since we LOVE that option.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think it was the skip monkeys changing to a four-day work week. Also, this thread is "home" to SM issues: Skip not available on shows recorded tonight

The Late Show, The Tonight Show and Jimmy Kimmel Live! have been changing for the last few months. I think we'll have to wait until September to see if they return to a five night schedule.

BTW, the programs have no control over SM. It's all TiVo and your local station's control of closed captions.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    John7777 likes this.
  3. JackMcC

JackMcC New Member

Aug 11, 2019
    I usually have quite a few shows that I record that which occasionally miss the skip feature. Since it's done by hand and not AI, it's understandable that it happens.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

John7777 likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Personally, I don't understand it: if the feature is offered, you simply hire the workers to consistently get it done, with some "floaters" to step in if someone gets sick, has a vacation, etc. The work isn't rocket science--presumably, it's simply watch a show, mark the commercial points, and send the info. to TiVo's computers. A one- or two-off occurrence, sure--but TiVo is far beyond that.

Instead, right now, the work seems to get done inconsistently, with primetime shows flowing in and out of SkipMode/AutoSkip so much of the time--the result being that TiVo gets something of a black eye, seeming to be incapable of delivering simple, consistent service. Kind of like the TiVo Guide so often nowadays, with often-missing show data, making those Guide entries virtually worthless (how often do late-night talk show Guide entries simply state something like, "A zany talk-format show in which a male host sits down and speaks with actors and public-figure guests"?).

John7777 likes this.
  5. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    It's not a deal breaker for me but it kind of sucks when we are just realizing how cool the auto skip mode on our new bolt is where you don't have to even pick up the remote, and then to lose the option for that on some of our shows. I had no idea that someone at TIVO had to manually do those settings? We still love TIVO though.

mrsean likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, manual marking. But how complex is this?

7. WorldBandRadio

WorldBandRadio Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Such extra workers cost money at a time when TiVo is trying to sell itself.

But while you're at it, suggesting the hiring of enough people, I'd also like to piggy-back and suggest that TiVo hire enough people to fix the program guide. Its accuracy and correctness seems to get worse every week. I've seen the same series with two different series titles a few times. I see a lot of series with no episode titles at all, etc., etc...

I really doubt if TiVo, as we currently know it, will ever fix these problems. Maybe the next owner will invest the money to solve the ongoing problems.

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, it costs money to provide the services that one (contractually) has agreed to provide, and to do so competently. ;) And this issue generally (e.g. the Guide) has been going on years.

9. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I remember many years back, I bought a Toshiba VCR that had a commercial skip feature. After the show would record, the tape would rewind, then go through the show finding where the commercials started and stopped and mark the tape so it would know when to fast forward through the ads. If that technology was available back then with a VCR, why wouldn't something similar be available these days to automatically mark the places digitally?

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You seem to be missing the point that even if the Tivo end has skipmode data for the program in question, there *can* be a glitch in your recording that makes it not register as a skipmode program.. and/or you'll get SM for only the first part of the program. (I seem to often not have it work for the last 'major' segment in the late night talk shows, e.g. to the musical guest)

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    since the guide does seem to (eventually) make it to the box, even in its current state of fluctuating dependability, i'd attribute the failures in accuracy on training, education, and attention to detail by the staff, not a lack thereof - but, hey, if it helps...

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    No, I'm not missing the point that there can be glitches. I absolutely understand that. But the great number of primetime shows that don't have SkipMode, and should, suggests that this is not just a "glitch issue," but a wider marking failure to begin with.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I see that also.

14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps the skipmarkers are falling asleep early?

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last night all was good. Seems they have all moved to a four day work week.