No Signal on new Samsung 4k

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by cyterio, Aug 29, 2016.

1. cyterio

cyterio New Member

Aug 29, 2016

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a new TiVo Bolt owner. I just upgraded my television to the Samsung UN55KS8000 and can't get anything from the TiVo to it.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Reset/Wiped the TiVo.
    -Used TiVo supplied hdmi cable and certified 4K hdmi cable.
    -Tried all inputs on the Samsung
    -Tried auto resolution and set resolution on TiVo settings.
    -Plugging and unplugging hdmi while TiVo is on.
    -Confirmed that all other hdmi devices I have work fine. (PS4, HTPC, etc.)

TiVo works instantly when I plug it back into my 24" 1080p tv. I know others have had intermittent issues with hdmi on 4K televisions but I can get anything at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bearcat2000

bearcat2000 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Try another cable. Samsung can be finicky about the cable with Bolts for some reason. My buddy went through a few 'certified' cables and one finally just worked. And make sure you are plugged into only the 4k input when trying the cables.

3. musictoo

musictoo Member

Oct 8, 2003
    Does the TV have the latest updates?

4. cyterio

cyterio New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Yes, I updated it before I even tried hooking up the TiVo. I wouldn't think that it would be that picky with the cables, I would've thought that at the very least I would get 1080 or 720 by manually setting it. But as of yet I've not been able to get a single image up on the tv. I have a cable coming tomorrow from monoprice, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Here is he link to the cable I ordered, maybe you guys can tell me if it should be sufficient.
    http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/pro...id=102&categoryid=10240&subcategoryid=1024021

5. i2k

i2k Member

Apr 2, 2008

Advertisements

Cable looks fine. I don't think you should have any issues. Have you tried a different HDMI input on the breakout box?

6. cyterio

cyterio New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I've tried every single port on the box. PS4 works instantly on all of them. Hopefully it's just the TiVo HDMI cable that's not cooperating.

7. rjrsouthwest

rjrsouthwest Active Member

Feb 19, 2016
    I have a new Vizio 2016 P series 4K tv and used the cable that came with the bolt and had no problems. I left the Tivo bolt set to auto mode and it sends everything from the bolt recorded in both HD and SD cable shows upscaled to 2160. Netflix and You Tube 4k videos play fine in true 4k from the 4k UHD shows available.

8. Sep 2, 2016 #8 of 27
    alsteel

alsteel New Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I had a similar problem with my Samsung UN55JS8500 4K TV.
    I did the following and my Samsung was able to connect with my Tivo Bolt again.

1. Open the main menu in your Samsung.
    2. Select the Support section of the main menu, and then press ENTER.
    3. Select the Self Diagnosis section of the Support, and then press ENTER.
    4. Select the Reset, and then press ENTER.
    5. Enter the security PIN (default 0000) for your TV.
    6. The reset warning will appear, select Yes and then press ENTER.

note: A factory reset will delete all settings on the TV and return it to factory defaults so you will have to do the initial setup over again.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  9. Sep 2, 2016 #9 of 27
    cyterio

cyterio New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Still nothing with the new cable. It makes no sense to me, the ps4 works fine, every time. The TiVo works fine on the 1080p LG but absolutely nothing on the new Samsung. I'm so frustrated, this makes no sense to me?!?

10. cyterio

cyterio New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Does anyone know if all the ports on the UN55KS8000 are 2.2? If they are, TiVo support is aware of an issue and working on an update. They told me to try a 2.2 HDMI cable but wasn't sure if that would work or not. So I guess I'm just going to have to wait until TiVo puts out an update before I can use it.

11. Girlzoom

Girlzoom New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    I had a problem with the Samsung randomly loosing the signal. Called Tivo and was told they had known problems with Samsung, but thought they had corrected them. Further troubleshooting revealed this was my problem. I was told it would be addressed in a future update, but since an update had just occurred, it could be as long as three months before it was addressed.

I returned the Samsung and purchased a LG. PROBLEM SOLVED!

I was afraid if I waited and the update didn't resolve the problem, it would be too late to exchange the tv and I would be "stuck".

12. cyterio

cyterio New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I ended up returning the TiVo Bolt and getting my subscription refunded. Even the TiVo technical support admitted that there is a bug with TiVo and Samsung 4K televisions. They also said that they don't have a timeframe for a fix and right now they are just recording the number of customers having issues. Maybe I'll just spruce up the HTPC and go back to Windows Media Center. It's a shame, I really liked what the Bolt had to offer, hopefully there is a fix in the future.

13. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    That sucks. I was thinking of replacing my 2014 Vizio P-Series with a KS8000, because its display lag with HDR video is 23ms whereas the 2016 Vizio P-Series has 65ms lag under the same conditions. I also don't care for Vizio's SmartCast as the TV's smart app platform. The Samsung is also compatible with Vidity HDDs so that I could check out FandangoNOW's 66 Mbps UHD/HDR downloads.

14. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    There is a bug with all Samsung tvs ?

15. cyterio

cyterio New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I'm not sure with all Samsung TVs, just with the TiVo Bolt on the Samsung 4K TV's, specifically the KS8000 series.

16. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Thanks. That's what the TiVo rep told you? Did they specifically mention the "bug" issue with KS8000 or just Samsung?

The reason I am asking is that this is the exact model at 65" size that I intend to get later this year.

17. parkair

parkair New Member

Aug 13, 2016
    I had the same problems with my new TV. You must make sure the HDMI cable is shown in the proper plug-in on the TV. Then everything should work. I got nothing until I hooked up the cables correctly to the co-responding plug-ins.

18. aspexil

aspexil Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    We have a Samsung 4k UN50JU650DFXZA we got about a year ago and it works fine. The only issue we've had is sometimes when we switch input to the Roku and leave it there overnight when we switch input back to the Tivo Bolt input is blank and says there is no signal. The only thing that worked was rebooting the Bolt. But the need to reboot only happened maybe 3 times since Oct 2015. Other times switching input back to the Bolt was fine and the signal was there. It hasn't been enough of a problem for me to report an issue with Tivo.

19. cyterio

cyterio New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Mine wouldn't work no matter what cable I used and what input it was in. TiVo didn't mention exact models that it had issues with, just that it is a known issue with the Samsung 4K tv's. I have the 55" and tried numerous fixes with TiVo and Samsung, nothing I did would display a picture on the tv. I even went as far as trying to set the resolution manually without being able to see the screen, I wrote down all the button presses and enabled every resolution individually to test... nothing. Maybe it was a freak occurrence between the firmware on both pieces of equipment. I really want it to work, because now I'm stuck with the xfinity X1, which I don't really care for.

20. thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    So if TiVo rep did not mention any specific Samsung model model that has the "Tivo Bug", does it mean all Samsung models have the issue? That's not possible, as I personally know many people with Samsung TVs that have no problems with TiVo.

Most likely, the TiVo rep was BS-ing you just to get rid of the call, a common recurrence nowadays with TiVo reps. Customer service quality has gone way down the hill recently compared to what it used to be.

It is simply a very unlucky situation for you, for some unexplained reason (as you said). Maybe people with same model (KS8000, or KS8500, which is the curved version of 8000) can chime in and share their experiences.