No signal after power outage

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Gregory Wilson, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Gregory Wilson

Gregory Wilson New Member

Nov 11, 2020

Advertisements

Suddenly lost power today. After power was restored, I have no signal. I unplugged to reset the box, no luck. Any ideas?

2. Gregory Wilson

Gregory Wilson New Member

Nov 11, 2020

After checking everything, turns out the HDMI cable went bad. All is well.

tampa8, kpeters59 and bam1220 like this.
  3. bam1220

bam1220 Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Thanks for getting back to us with the fix. Some people don't.

tampa8 likes this.
  4. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    You are the second person I have read to report a faulty HDMI cable after a power outage, someone with a DISH receiver found the same.

5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

Strange that the cable is the part that went bad from a simple power outage - I would have expected either of the HDMI ports to go bad, but not a simple wire. Good to know.

Just out of curiosity, did you try and go back to the bad cable after you got it working with a different one, just to confirm that the cable was indeed bad?

It is actually fairly common for a plug to develop invisible surface corrosion on a contact that can interrupt a clean signal, so there is a slight possibility that just removing the old cable and then reattaching it could have fixed it also. (Back when I was working avionics, we could sometimes fix a unit by just "re-seating" it, but the pilots absolutely hated it when we wrote that up as the fix; they wanted to see something more tangible.)