No Satellite on Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mrsolutions, Aug 24, 2006.

1. mrsolutions

mrsolutions New Member

Jul 7, 2006

Advertisements

I read a rumour that you will not be able to get satellite on the Series 3.

Is this really likely?

2. T1V0

T1V0 New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Yes, it's very likely.

3. mrsolutions

mrsolutions New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    what would be the point in doing that - surely they are just reducing the potential market??

4. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    The Series 3 is cable card only. So it can't do Satilite. Tivo just renewed their deal with DirecTV so that is the plan for Satilite(DirecTivo series 2's). They are sueing Dish so no help there. For the record D* doesn't want the S3. They want people to witch to there new HD box which ships next month.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

reduces complexity as the unit does not have serial card or IR emitter. It would have really added some junk to the unit to add ability to run two serial cables or two IR emitters to allow for dual recording plus you need two seperate inputs for the sat channels then and still not getting HD off the sat after all that.

better to focus on just cable and OTA and look for an integrated solution perhaps after the dust settles from the E* suit.

6. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The short answer is - search for all the past threads where the reasons for not doing satellite on the S3 are explained in detail.

Short version - satellite vendors won't expose the raw HD signal to 3rd parties like TiVo and encoding it on the fly isn't viable. They want you to buy their own DVRs.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    As megazone suggested...

We have Dish Network and DirecTV to blame for the lack of a Series3 satellite. Those providers will not allow (in the case of DirecTV, no longer allow) Tivo to produce DVRs for their satellite systems. They both use encryption and will not grant Tivo a license to implement their encryption system in a product.

The technology does not exist to record HDTV from component and DVI/HDMI in a consumer product --- the professional broadcast products with this capability are twice the size of your computer and cost up to $25,000 -- so access to the Dish and DirecTV encryption systems was the only option Tivo had to build a HDTV Tivo for satellite.

I'm sure you've heard about the suit against Dish Network...which chose to implement much of Tivo's functionality on its own, infringing Tivo's patents, rather than allow Tivo to compete for its HDTV DVR customers by granting them access to its encryption platform.

In contrast, our government mandated that all cable providers open their encryption systems to third-parties like Tivo by way of one common standard known as OpenCable (CableCard). For this reason, and this reason alone, we will have products like the Tivo Series3 that replace the cable box / cable DVR.

8. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Mostly it's a matter of "DEAL, or NO DEAL!"

Neither satellite provider is interested and thus there's no deal.

You can bet that if the right deal had been available Series 3 would have incorporated an integrated solution (one that didn't require an external satellite STB) for receiving satellite HD from a satellite service.

9. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    Will Series 3 also not support cable boxes? I was planning to run a setup where I use my cable box for extra channels (MTV, CNN, etc.) and use the OTA tuner in the Tivo for HD (at least for now). My reasoning is that:

1. OTA is generally superior HD quality for me
    2. CableCard will cost me at least $40 to install vs 0 for the cable box
    3. The monthly savings for CableCard will be less than $3 so it will be over a year before I make up the install cost
    4. I'll need the cable box anyway to get onDemand
    5. The only HD channels I get via cable that I don't get OTA, I use for live sports so it is of limited use

It would be a bummer if they stopped supporting cable boxes.

10. SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The S3 does not support cable boxes for the same reason it cannot support satellite.

11. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The Tivo Series3 replaces your cable box. It does everything your cable box does---aside from VOD---and obviously much, much more.

You can use your Series3 for cable channels like CNN without a CableCard. You can use the Series3 for cable without a CableCard and without a subscription to your cable's digital package. You only need the CableCard if you want to tune the encrypted digital channels (in other words, the channels in your cable provider's digital package).

If you are an "extended basic" cable customer and don't subscribe to a digital package tier, the Series3 will get you everything you do now without a CableCard, plus it will integrate the HDTV channels from an antenna -- if you have one -- into the program guide with the cable channels.

If you want to receive encrypted digital cable channels like ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, HBO-HD, and your regional sports network in HD, then obviously you will need the CableCard from your cable company. Note most cable providers include one free CableCard as part of a digital service subscription.

12. BillyT2002

BillyT2002 Crush!Kill!Destroy!

Oct 19, 2002
    Waterville, ME
    The best thing that could happen in this world (even better than full nuclear proliferation) would be for DISH Network to break down (maybe in some settlement regarding the DISH Network/TIVO lawsuit) and create a high-definition receiver which supports dual cablecard outputs which could be used with a TIVO series 3. That would be awesome and if that ever came to be, Charlie Ergen would be lifted in song and praise for all of eternity (at least in my household). And heck, I'd gladly give him $300 per month in DISH Network fees for such a device too. ;)

13. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    I understand what CableCard does and that it is intended to replace a cable box. The reality is that it doesn't yet. VOD is a big deal for me, so I'll want a cablebox anyway.

In my system there is no such thing as analog cable-- it's all digital (Cablevision, Bronx NY). So I need a cable box to get any channel. There are very few clear QAM channels. CableCard is a $40 install + about $3 per month.

So the bottom line is that if Tivo drops support for IR Blasters and recording from S Video, etc., I'm none too pleased.

14. SullyND

SullyND L: 31-14 (10-2) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The S3 is a dual tuner HD device. IF it supported IR Blasters it would 1) Only record SD and II. Only work with ONE STB. You'd have a very expensive unit with the same functionality of an S2 DT.

15. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    That Cablevision $40 install price is rather outrageous. I would call and talk to a supervisor about that, once the Tivo Series3 is released, to see if they'll let you install it themselves. Such fees are not consistent with the spirit of the agreement reached with the FCC.

16. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    It would have the same functionality of the S2 with an ATSC HDTV tuner, which is what I am looking for since that is where I'm getting most of my HD content :) I would theoretically like to record one HDTV OTA stream and one cable SD feed via S Video but this may be asking too much from the world.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I don't think people realize yet how good OTA HDTV really is.

17. cap

cap New Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Omaha, NE.
    Cox told me they charge $70 for the install.
    Is there a way around this?

18. cap

cap New Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Omaha, NE.
    Not at all, this is what I want.
    But since it's not possible, I have dropped Dish and am a cable guy.
    If Tivo ever adds this then maybe I can go back.

19. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Get two DVR's; a Series 3 (or Sony or LG's discontinued single tuner OTA HD DVR's, which use TVGOS w/no monthly fee) and a cable DVR!

But instead of an expensive Series 3 for high def, or a crippled Series 2 for analog, I'd prefer a cheap single source (at a time), or a moderately priced dual DVR with no tuner(s) which could control QAM cable, satellite, and ATSC OTA STB's, and record through one or two composite/S-video line inputs.

20. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    The TiVo DVR is your VOD box. Record everything you want to watch; it'll be ready when you are. You'll have no need for their "on demand."