no room for 2 coax cables - what can I do?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by albertico1969, May 23, 2011.

1. albertico1969

albertico1969 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Hi. I live in a apt-building. From the dish (dual LNB) two coax go to a multi-switch 2 x 8. I had the normal directv receiver before TIVO that only needed one coax from the multi-switch, but now I got the TIVO receiver that needs 2 inputs to the new receiver. The problem I have is the tube (goes under the floor) where I pass the coax from the multi-switch has no room for two cables.
    Is there a way to duplicate the signal from the current coax connected to the multi-switch in order to generate the 2 inputs the receiver needs?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If it's a "round dish" system with a 2x8, you can buy a set of devices called stacker-destacker, but this is $400 or more, and this works only with the old single-satellite systems. (It would also require use of a second output on the multiswitch.)

Modern DirecTV systems use a system called "Single Wire Multiswitch" that is ideal for apartments, but it might require all tenants to get new boxes. No DTiVos work with that setup.

3. au_en_bear

au_en_bear Member

Nov 11, 2003
    southeast
    Is it really the cables or the end connectors that are the problem? It is possible to buy the cable in bulk and attach the end connectors if you have the right tools. If you can get two of the cable through the tube and then attach the end connector it might get you running.

Also, there is mini-coax cable. The end connectors are the same size but the cable is about half the diameter of regular coax. I know that you could fit two runs of mini-coax through the tube if one regular fits but you would still have the problem of needing to buy the cable and a crimp tool to make the connection.

Just search for mini-coax and you will see what I am talking about.

4. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Also, if it is really a DirecTivo unit, you don't necessarily have to use two inputs. It just makes things a lot more convenient. If it is only possible to have one input, just set it up that way in the settings and it will work fine as a single-tuner DVR.

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Wlil baums work with this type of signal? I know with a video signal you can send the signal over cat 5 using one of the pairs of wires in it and using a balum on each end. There are 4 pairs of wire in the cat 5 and would allow 4 signals.

6. KurtBJC

KurtBJC New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    The mini-coax suggestion would very likely be the best, assuming you've got enough access to both ends of this "tube" to pull it through. It's important to use something with suitable bandwidth--e.g., Belden 1855A. I'm not sure off the top of my head whose F-connectors would fit that, but it's very slender cable used for SDI so has the bandwidth.

Baluns aren't going to work here because the frequencies are just too high for any widely-available consumer-market balun. Baluns that work into the low GHz are very pricy (I had a quote on some at $81.00 per once; that was wholesale, and you'd need two of those for each line so even at that price it's hundreds of dollars in parts) and I don't know anybody who incorporates them into any consumer-friendly product--you'd have to fabricate the units yourself.

Kurt

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    In addition, there is a voltage superimposed on the line that is used to switch polarizations, so another strike against baluns.

8. KurtBJC

KurtBJC New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Oh...yeah, stevel is right, and I didn't think of that. A balun will not pass a DC voltage and you do need DC voltage going to the dish, so that answer is just out of the question even if you could source the baluns.

Mini-coax, though, should work great as long as the run isn't super-long, if you can get it in there.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I didn't think they made conduit that small.