No remote 'output format' shortcut on S3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by xfm, Sep 29, 2007.

1. xfm

xfm Member

Apr 1, 2005
    My D*TiVo (HR10-250) has a convenient output format shortcut on the remote (up arrow) that I use when I dub shows to my DVD recorder.

Just got my S3 yesterday. Works great, but I can't find an equivalent shortcut. Anyone discovered any hidden tricks to enable an output format shortcut?

2. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I was about to post the same thing and found this old thread. I'm assuming the answer to this is "no." If so, that's a shame. It's really annoying to have to drill down the menus 5 deep every time I want to change from 1080i fixed to 720p fixed or vice versa.

3. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    You can also walk up to the box and hit the "format" button if you don't want to go through the menus.

If the DVD recorder is hooked up via the TiVo's composite or s-video outputs, that should automatically be in 480i regardless of how the Component and HDMI outputs are set. All you'll need to do is change the aspect ratio, and that can be done on the remote.

If you use Component (and only a handful of DVD recorders have Component In) then you have to change the output manually.

4. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Get up? What is this, 1975? ;) Why isn't there a "format" button on the remote, or, at least, a "format" code that can be programmed into a universal remote?

My use has nothing to do with a DVD recorder. I'm not sure where that came from.

I want to display 1080i shows in 1080i and 720p shows in 720p. They look better on my 1366X768 TV that way. However, I absolutely do not want to display 480i shows in 480i. The TiVo sends some kooky "480i widescreen" signal when you do that, which confuses my TV and requires me to put my TV in full mode in order to view it correctly ("full" mode means stretch SD content and overscan HD content, and putting it on for SD content would require me to shut it off for HD content). Since there's no mode that lets me display HD content in native resolution and display SD content upscaled to an HD resolution of my choice, I have to change inputs every time I watch an HD show or the HD show looks soft when converted by the TiVo to the other resolution.

5. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    The OP is using the dvd recorder....

That's what you get for bumping a 3 month old thread...

6. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Heh. Funny, I looked for that, too. The post is 4 sentences and I missed it.

Anyway, the need for a "format" shortcut trancends the use with a DVD Recorder. :)

7. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Because once the format is set, there is no real need to keep changing it. Leave it at Native if your TV supports it (and doesn't freak out when you switch between SD and HD), otherwise use Hybrid or Fixed.

The only people who would need to change it on a regular basis are those who hook up a DVD recorder via the Component connections. Since DVD recorders currently don't support anything other than 480i, these would be the only people who would need to change it. Since few DVD recorders have Component inputs, the number of TiVoHD and S3 users who fall into that category would be even fewer.

If you hook up a VCR or DVD recorder via composite or s-video, these connections can only handle 480i anyway.

The OP said he transfers shows to a DVD recorder. My post was meant more for him.

I don't know what "kooky 480i widescreen signal" you are talking about. In 480i panel mode, by default you should get bars on the side of your widescreen TV. If not, either your TV and/or your TiVo is not properly set up.

8. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I use fixed rather than native or hybrid (because the TiVo and my TV don't agree on what 480i or 480p means, on which, more later). Sometimes I want 1080i fixed (when the content is 1080i), and sometimes I want 720p fixed (at all other times). 1080i content in 720p fixed doesn't look as good on my TV, and 720p content in 1080i fixed doesn't look as good either.

My TV, when it is receiving a signal in 480i or 480p, dispays that signal in a 4:3 window, unless the TV is put in "full" mode. The TiVo does not have an option for simply sending a 4:3 signal (the signal it recorded) in 480i or 480p mode. Instead, it sends a signal that's supposed to be interpreted as a 16:9 signal, either with or without bars on the side of it. So, putting the TiVo in panel mode gives me a 4:3 window (with bars created by my TV), and, inside that window is the picture sent by the TiVo, with a second set of bars in it.

If I put the TV in "full" mode, to properly handle TiVo's 16:9 480i picture, it screws up HD content because "full" mode zooms in on HD content on my TV. If I put the TiVo in "full" mode, it stretches the 4:3 content to fill the screen, which shows it right on my TV because my TV squishes the 480i signal into a 4:3 window. The problem is, I lose the ability to use the TiVo to zoom when I want to do that, and also that the TiVo guide and overlays are also squeezed into the 4:3 window.

So, the only way to properly display 480i content on my TV, without losing the ability to zoom, is to use the TiVo to upconvert it to an HD resolution. But there is no mode that will send HD content in a native resolution and send SD content in an upconverted resolution. Because I want to send HD content in its native resolution (the picture looks better when I do that), I have to switch input modes. If there were an input mode that did what I wanted, I wouldn't have to switch. There isn't, so I do.

9. Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    I simply leave the TiVo in Native mode and then use toggle through my television's FULL/WIDE/ZOOM/NORMAL settings to achieve the desired display ratio. YMMV.

10. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    That won't work for two reasons. 1) I'm not the only person who watches the TV. Too many button presses to make the picture look right won't work with the wife or with visitors. It's OK if, when I'm not around, the 1080i programming is shown in 720p or vice versa, or 480i letterbox stuff isn't zoomed. But the show needs to be in the right aspect ratio when it is chosen out of Now Playing, without further button presses. 2) My TV doesn't have a zoom mode. It only has "standard" (display what you get, which displays all 480i and 480p content as 4:3) or "full" (stretch 480 content to fill the screen and overscan HD content). The only way to zoom SD content is with the TiVo.

11. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Ok I see what the issue is, both the TiVo and your TV are "fighting" to add panels to standard definition programs.

There should be something in the TV menu to turn that feature off.

If not, may I suggest telling the TiVo that it's actually hooked to a 4:3 TV? The reason is that it should display 4:3 correctly (your TV will add the necessary bars) but any HD content should display properly in "full" mode. On my 4:3 TV, full mode comes out tall and skinny, but should display properly on your TV. This is also how I make anamorphic DVD's using a DVD recorder.

12. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I don't think of my TV as "adding" panels. I think of my TV as expecting a 480i signal to be 4:3, because that's what 480i signals usually are. I'm surprised there's no way for the TiVo to just send what it recorded, and nothing else.

There isn't. There is only "standard" mode and "fill" mode.

I'll try that, but I'd prefer to retain the option of zooming in on SD content to fill the screen when it's letterboxed, and also I like the guide and program information overlay to be in 16:9.

Also, the TiVo is better at converting SD shows to HD resolutions than my TV is, anyway. The picture looks better when the TiVo does it. So, I'd rather there were a video mode that allowed me to send the HD shows in their native resolution and the SD shows upconverted. Barring that, I'd rather there was a way to switch from 1080i fixed to 720p fixed without leaving the couch and without drilling five deep in the menu (which wouldn't be so bad if the UI weren't so slow).

13. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    You may not think of it in that way, but based on what you're telling me, that's exactly what it's doing. Your TV manufacturer added this feature, perhaps to prevent uneven burn-in caused by not using all of the available screen, not realizing that it might cause conflicts with STB's that do the same thing.

You should still have that option if you set your TiVo up in 4:3 mode.

Definitely in the eye of the beholder, since the widescreen version of the overlay is simply stretched to fill the screen. It doesn't have any additional info, isn't any easier to read (IMHO it's actually more difficult to read), and IMHO just plain looks ugly. There have been a couple of old threads about it from people wondering if there was a way to disable that feature and simply display the menu in its original 4:3 format over a 16:9 picture.

14. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I might be missing something here, but doesn't the "Aspect" button on the S3 remote (or the "Window" button on other Tivo remotes) let you toggle aspect modes?

15. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Aspect modes, as in panel, zoom, and full, yes. Not video output modes, as in 1080i fixed and 720p fixed.

16. Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    If you set the aspect ratio on your TiVo to 4:3 Smart Screen, it won't add black bars to anything. It assumes your TV will.