No remote code for Maxent --did search to no avail

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pss, Oct 31, 2004.

1. pss

pss New Member

Jan 31, 2002

Advertisements

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!! Tivo "customer service" won't talk to me b/c of this being a Philips unit. Called the Philips number and the answering message is "we're sorry...we'll be with you shortly.." Click. Click. Same message. Click. Click. Then the phone company's "we're sorry...the number you have dialed cannot be connected" or some garbage like that. What am I supposed to DO about this? Tivo is worthless if it can't change channels!

Maxent is not listed on the TV code list, and I have done the code search--nada.

I am actually trying to help a friend with this. I have had Tivo since it was invented and have talked most of my friends into using and bought it for my kids. Have 3 myself and want to get the Humax next.

Obviously, she doesn't think it's so great....:(

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999
    This is a TV, not a cable box right? If it's a TV, a Tivo is far from worthless if the remote can't control the TV. All you need is the TV remote to turn the TV on, turn it to the correct input, and adjust volume. From then on you can use Tivo; channel change would be done internally using Tivo's tuner or via cable box depending on setup. Only thing really annoying is if you have to pick up the remote to tweak volume frequently.

If your friend wants one remote for both, there are a number of good universal remote options, search for "universal remote" over in the coffee house for previous discussion. Maxent is a rare brand so she would want to get a universal with plenty of learning memory.

3. Nov 1, 2004 #3 of 21
    pss

pss New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Yes, Steven, it is a TV. Sorry for not including that.

Thank you for this information. I am going to try recording something this morning. I don't think my friend will have a problem with 2 remotes as long as Tivo can change the channel on its own to do the recordings on different channels.

4. Nov 1, 2004 #4 of 21
    pss

pss New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Steven...this did not work. Tivo records CNN regardless of the channel I select to record. If I go to the Live TV guide and select TNT for example, and select "record this showing," Tivo records CNN.

The TV is a Maxent LCD, Tivo 20 HR by Philips. Tivo is on one input (AV1) via the Maxent remote, and another input also receives the signal (it says cable channel whatever in the corner instead of AV1).

When I use the Maxent remote to change channels on Tivo, it switches the screen back to the other input. So then I cannot even use the Tivo remote to get to Tivo Central. Tivo will ONLY record CNN. I am going to try guided set up one more time and see if I am missing something.

5. Nov 1, 2004 #5 of 21
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

What is the signal source for the TiVo? Cable? With or without box? What channel is CNN in your area?

Make sure the TiVo is setup to use the correct signal source.

6. Nov 1, 2004 #6 of 21
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    What is your TV souce (Cable, Cable box, satellite), and what channel is CNN on?

7. Nov 1, 2004 #7 of 21
    pss

pss New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Thanks Jim. Cable-no box. CNN channel #3. I am just now doing guided set-up again.

8. Nov 2, 2004 #8 of 21
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Okay. Here's a connection scheme to try. Cable from wall to the RF input on the TiVo, A/V outputs on TiVo to the TV. Run guided setup to seelct cable with no box. This should then work just fine. Use the AV1 input for TiVo viewing.

If you want to watch one channel while recording another then run a cable from the RF output of the TiVo to the RF input on the TV. Put the TiVo into standby, it will still record, and use the TV remote to select the channel. With the TiVo out of standby and the TV on ch3 it will also show the TiVo output, the picture quality will suffer.

9. Nov 2, 2004 #9 of 21
    pss

pss New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Thanks for your help! We are up and running and everything is working as you said.

Next project in my own house: Humax w/DVD recorder and adding that second networked Tivo to our home network. We have a Dish HD receiver and networked Tivo upstairs. Would like to add the Humax down so that we could record two things at once and later have the option of watching either on the plasma TV. Does that make sense?

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I don't have experience with networked TiVos. But, since the TiVos will be networked this should work just fine.

11. pss

pss New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Thank you again.

12. Snowman

Snowman New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Have you tried calling Maxent and asking them which TV they're compatible with (i.e. who makes it or what other brands they make)? Chances are it's a rebadged TV from another company or at least uses the same codes.

13. pss

pss New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    No contact info in the manual (!). I have found something online that says Maxent MIGHT be manufactured by Regent USA. I have yet to find a relevant link on the website I THINK is theirs. Crazy. In any case, my friend is good with the two remotes, just using the Maxent one for power and volume. Everything else is working well now. Thanks for your suggestion.

14. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Looks like your friend would be interested in a universal remote, like the URC-6131.

15. pss

pss New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Looks good Jim. Thanks!

16. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    You might want to keep an eye on this thread.

17. tivonut2

tivonut2 New Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Has anyone ever come up with the correct codes for this brand? I'm considering purchasing the Maxent MX-42VM11 42" Plasma, but not if I can't program the remote for it (my mind is set on this, so let's not waste the space with "you can get this universal" talk).

Thanks,
    Nutz

18. CoolerThan

CoolerThan New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    The code for Maxent and Comcast is 1755.
    It works !

19. tvdork

tvdork New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    1755 didn't work for me but the code for my new 50" Maxent plasma is 11755 -- they are all 5 digits now. The 1755 worked for some of the older sets I'm guessing? Then to program the "tv input" portion is the same (960) YAY !! Now my DirecTV remote DOES control this tv !!! The Maxent website offers up some other brands that were similar, and I hit it when I went to the "Sampo" TV in the DirecTV remote control setup menu !! YIPPPEEEE!

20. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    There are many UEI made remotes like One-for-all universals that still take 4 digit UEI codes. At this time it only UEI made dtv remotes that have added a prefix to the front of the setup codes. 0****- dtv receivers, 1****- Tv's, 2****- Dvd & Vcr's, and 3****- Steroes. So if find an old list UEI codes, just add the proper prefix to use with your DTV remote.