No Program

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Choice, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Choice

Choice New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Hi All,

I'm new here. I searched the FAQ's but I didn't find an answer so here goes...

My Tivo is connected properly. Everything seems to be working correctly except none of my shows have a picture. The screen is blank (black).

I read on the TIVO site that this might be because I am trying to record with the TV off :eek: Someone please tell me that the TV doesn't have to be on :confused: What's the problem here...anybody. :confused:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    No, your TV does not need to be turned on to record on your Tivo. But we'll need more information to help you ....

* brand/model Tivo?
    * brand/model TV?
    * what's your video source (cable, cable box, satellite box)?
    * how is that video source connected to your Tivo (cables, connectors, inputs/outputs)?
    * how is the Tivo connected to your TV (cables, connectors, inputs/outputs)?

3. Choice

Choice New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I hope these are the right answers. The wires are overwhelming...

* brand/model Tivo? TIVO S2 Model 540140
    * brand/model TV? Quasar
    * what's your video source (cable, cable box, satellite box)? Cable Box
    * how is that video source connected to your Tivo (cables, connectors, inputs/outputs)? RF Out
    * how is the Tivo connected to your TV (cables, connectors, inputs/outputs)? RF IN and and AV (R\W\Y)

Again, everything else works. Also, I tested a recording with the TV on and it works. I hope that narrows things down.

4. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    Cable needs to go to RF in and RF out goes to your TV

5. Choice

Choice New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Thanks Seattle...did that... Tested it and still records only when the TV is on.

6. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    The TV does not have to be on but if you have a cable box it does.

7. Choice

Choice New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I'm a little slow...did you just say that if I have a cable box the TV has to be on to record. Even my DVD player can record with the TV off. What's the point of having TIVO if my TV needs to be on 24 hours a day?

I'm just venting...I can't beleive I went through all this and I miss this one little thing. This is now a crappy investment. MY DVD player was doing fine. It's just limited in the number of recordings. This is unbeleivable. So the masses of cable customers are leaving their TV's on?

8. Techman 22

Techman 22 New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    You must have a cable box in line with the Tv by the way you discribe your problem. The reason it only records when on is your cable box needs power to get the picture. To solve this problem put a splitter in line with the main cable. one cable goes to your Tivo and the other to your cable box,this way Tivo allways has signal to record. If you have video inputs on your TV use that for Tivo playing and your RF input for Cable box watching. The only drawback to this is you can't record any pay per view shows or channels like HBO. Only stright cable channels. If you need to record these type of channels then plug your Tv in direct into the wall. and never turn off your cable box. The big problem with this format is your cable box has to be set to the channel you want to record and your Tivo has to be on the output channel. Hope that helps.. :)

9. Choice

Choice New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I was about to open a vein so I decided to wait the 20 minutes to talk to a TIVO rep. Here's what I got...my TV is plugged into the back of my cable box and my cable remote controls everything. This is why I interpretled Seattle incorrectly. To me TV = Cable and power always on means TV always on.

So I plugged the TV into the wall. Now if I read your meessage right that means that now The TIVO will record with teh TV off but the cable box on. However, TIVo won't change the channels.

I tested this and you're right. I'm going for the splitter and I'll report back.