No picture Cablecard 2 HELP!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Vikingmd, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Vikingmd

Vikingmd New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    LA

Advertisements

I have a Series 3 and am using Comcast. They have come to my house three times and cannot get Cablecard 2 to work with my Series 3. When I go to test the channels in the cablecard diagnostics menu I receive all the channel information but there is no picture.

As a side note they got my TivoHD in another room working fine.

I am hoping somebody here will be able to help diagnose the problem.

2. lickwid

lickwid Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I had a similar problem with CableCard 1 when they were installing mine. I could only receive the basic limited channels, 1-33 or whatever. After getting the hit from the Cable Company several times without any lucky in getting all the channels, the tech just replaced the CableCard. It was the CableCard that was the culprit. You might have to request that Comcast come out to your location and try different CableCards. It may be a faulty CableCard or even an incompatibility with your system.

But my first guess would be the faulty CableCard. You can try calling Comcast to send out the signal to hit your CableCard 2 again.

3. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    If you only get limited basic, and maybe local HD's, then either the card is bad, or Comcast didn't initialize them correctly. The "hit" is one of the signals that they can send to the cable cards, but it only work once the card has been hit with an "init" signal. Once that's done, you should get a 161-4 error briefly. If you look at the Conditional Access screen of your cable card info on Tivo, and look for something like Authorization, if it says no, then the card is probably not initialized correctly.

You can search the Comcast cable card thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5496402

for MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
  5. notabbott

notabbott New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

Trying to triangulate to see if I'm having the same problem...when you look at the CableCARD diagnostics screen for each card, do they both say they're on the same tuner and on the same channel? I'm having a similar problem, and repeated INIT hits don't really seem to be helping.

And both cards think they're on the same tuner and the same channel despite the TiVo thinking it's recording a different channel while I watch the channel the diagnostic spits back.

The only potential problem I see in the Conditional Access screen on the second card is that Enable By CP, or whatever that is, is set to "no," and it's "yes" on the first card. Assuming that the working card and the nonworking card are what I think they are, but I'm not even sure of that.

6. tavarua88

tavarua88 New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    something similar happened to me when TW came out to install the 2nd card. they were going to send out a tech when it wasn't working but after going over the tivo guide on how to troubleshoot your cable card all i had to do was call in and ask them, to ensure that the card was set with the proper programming, and to "hit" it again. Worked like a charm and now no appointment needed. I was getting nothing above 29 and on tuner 2 and access screen stated UNAUTHORIZED, vs my 1st card that said AUTHORIZED. now both are authorized.

7. Vikingmd

Vikingmd New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    LA
    It took 3 installers and 5 cable cards but it finally works. Thanks for your guys help. They started from scratch and redid the install. I think that the problem was at the head end.