No phone line near my Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by jonnypetrie, Aug 25, 2007.

1. jonnypetrie

jonnypetrie New Member

May 7, 2006
    I have had Tivo for a number of years, but I have moved to a new house and there is no phone socket in the room that I need to put it. What are my options? My Tivo isn't networked, and I really don't want to have to pay a BT engineer to come out to install a new socket just for my Tivo.
    Help!

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Do you have broadband?
    If yes do you have it setup for wireless?

How much do want to spend max to resolve the problem?

Automan.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    ...and how important is WAF?

A long phone extension cable trailing all over the house is dead cheap :D

4. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    The £10 option is a long phone extension cable tacked neatly on the skirting board or may be even tucked under the side of the carpet. Assuming you don't have stripped pine floors? :eek:

I think BT's price for an extension socket is now £150 or something crazy so you would be better spending the money on Cachecard, 512MB of RAM and a new 250GB hard drive for your Tivo. May be about £140 for that lot but at least you end up with a much better Tivo. Of course I'm assuming you have broadband and a wireless ADSL router already - if not the cost would be a lot higher.

I have seen wireless modems around in recent times (designed about 7 years too late it appears but I think still useful in backward parts of the USA, Eastern Europe and the Third World) but they obviously rely on sticking a PCI or PCMCIA card in your PC to decode the signal so a non starter for a Tivo.

5. jonnypetrie

jonnypetrie New Member

May 7, 2006
    I do have wireless internet, so it could be an option to do it that way.
    The cord is a no go unfortunately - wood floors.
    How much am I looking at having to spend here? Can't say I'd really want to have to spend £140 ish if I could possibly avoid it

6. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    If you can find someone selling an old Turbonet or Terbonet card on Ebay you might get one of those for £30 but then you would have to be able to handle opening up your Tivo and sticking the drive in a PC and booting from the Linux disk etc to install the drivers as detailed at www.steveconrad.co.uk/tivo Also Turbonet cards on their own hardly ever come up for sale. You can buy a Cachecard direct from www.9thtee.com for about £50 + £15 delivery at the current exchange rate. You might get charged VAT and a customs duty payment fee if you were unlucky though. There was a cheap Ebay seller of Cachecards but he seems to have called it a day for the time being.

But on top of that you need a wireless bridge box and a network switch to attach the wireless bridge to your Tivo. I think you can may be get something suitable for another £20 or 30 on Ebay but others would have to advise on the make and model.

Your Tivo would seem like a whole new machine with a Cachecard and a bigger hard drive and all other PVRs including Sky+ are still rubbish by comparison for ease of software use at present.

If you only want to spend £10 your only option is the self installed extension cable and tacking it on the skirting board, which ought to look ok if done with those little cable tacks, even if you have a wood floor.

7. regatta

regatta Alicante TiVo User

Feb 11, 2006
    Alicante
    Do a google search for wireless phone jack. It might be the best (and easiest) option for about £50.

8. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Okey - my solution is this:
    Netgear Wifi on the broadband end
    Turbonet card in TiVo (currently $70), though probably best buy a Cachecard these days.
    Netgear WGPS606 printer server manager (can be used as a wifi second hub), around £50-60
    Sundry cables

Getting the WGPS606 configured to work just as a bridge was a little tricky as the guided setup presumes you're going to be plugging a printer into it and is a little tricky to bypass this fact - but the solution works well for me (though the blue activity light on it is a little on the bright side in a darkened room!)

At the time my problem was the same as yours - need for wireless because of the TiVo's location in relation to a phone line. My new house isn't as much of a problem as the phone connection is close to the telly (both Sky boxes need it) - but I still use it as the daily download doesn't affect the phone connection, takes place in seconds and didn't want to make any changes to the setup when I moved to my house (plus the long ethernet cable required for (ahem) other activities wasn't realistic in my new house too.

Be careful with regard to wireless DECT solutions - the modem settings used by TiVo don't appear to work with some of these.

9. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I have a fear that they don't support modem use and only voice calls.

10. jonnypetrie

jonnypetrie New Member

May 7, 2006
    I've seen one on amazon that says it works for "satellite set top boxes". Does this sound like it might include Tivo. This is my favoured option I reckon, if I can find something that might work

11. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    But you are spending around half the money for a Cachecard and a Network Bridge for far less functionality. Also its not necessarily guaranteed to work so make sure you buy one from somewhere that will it take it back without question after you have opened the packaging.

12. BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    I used them for a couple of years with no problems - I do remember that you had to set something in the dialing string to make it work though. I've long since gone to network though so they're in the attic somewhere now.

What about putting your own phone extension in. The best way to hide wiring (unless you're on the sixth floor of a block of flats or something) is to drill through the walls and route the cabling around the outside of the house. It sounds drastic but it's dead quick & easy. WAF (after the event - not during!) is extremely high as you have no cables visible at all.

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    And you would accept how much for them exactly from this fellow Tivocommunity member? ;) ..................................................

Depends what sort of house you have. My walls here are foot thick 1850s Victorian Red Brick.

14. BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    Actually it's not very feasible for me either, in this house that we moved to a few years ago. It's an 1875 Victorian stone built house. The walls taper from bottom to top. At the bottom a meter long drill bit only just makes it through and it's pretty blunt by the time it gets there.

Wifi makes it through one internal wall then just stops - so virtually everything has to be cabled - It's a work in progress.

15. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    LOL Living in a house with granite rocks for foundations, and for parts of walls, I know what you mean! But it does make it nice and warm in the winter.

16. geekspeak

geekspeak New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    As a temporary measure how about geting a 'phone extension cable and just connect it up once or twice a week and force a "daily call" then put the cable away.

You might miss the odd schedule update but not too much, I don't think.

Is the big update still Saturday (?), so connect after that.

17. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Good point I was forgetting a once a week update by phone would do. The BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4 and Five listings last a fortnight when new but then dwindle down to 1 week by the time they are renewed. So say update weekly on Monday evening using a long phone extension cable and you should be fine. Or move the Tivo to the BT phone socket once a week, although that's probably harder work and make sure you power it down before you move it.

You could then keep an eye out for a Tivo being sold with a Cachecard, RAM, enlarged hard drive and Lifetime Sub at a bargain price on Ebay and then buy it and then in due course sell your unmodified Tivo with a Lifetime Sub. The amount Tivos with Lifetime Sub, Cachecard and 512MB of RAM sell for is now often a lot less than the sum of the component parts involved these days. Plus you also save all the upgrading hassle. Preferably buy one with a 250Gb drive or more showing that the upgrade has not been done too long ago. If your Tivo is not Lifetime Subbed then sadly its no longer worth anything on Ebay and your best bet would be to buy an upgraded unit as listed above with Lifetime Sub and then keep your unsubbed Tivo for spare parts.

18. AENG

AENG New Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Bedfordshire
    Not being a computer geek (unfortunately :eek: ) I've stuck with my "Thomson wireless phone socket system", WP-J 530U. It's run, faultlessly and thus forgotten, for years with a parallel connection to 2 Tivos. It uses a mains-borne signal path to reach the phone socket and was totally unfazed by the subsequent addition of broadband to the line.

The key to making the original setup successful (don't ask why :confused: ) was to set the dialling prefix string to:
    ,,08081050005, (all 3 commas significant).

If you want a simple, neat solution and can still find the unit or equvalent at a sensible price it's worth thinking about, IMHO. Best of luck with whatever solution you adopt :up: .