No Phone Connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by whppdhubby, May 7, 2007.

1. May 7, 2007 #1 of 20
    whppdhubby

whppdhubby New Member

May 7, 2007

Advertisements

I have a toshiba SD-H400 with lifetime basic service.
    until this week everything was great! now i cant get it to download programs! it goes thru the motions and stops about 3 minutes into the "download" it comes up and says CALL INTERRUPTED. the update confirmation says "no connection". i have redone basic set up, checked my phone numbers, confirmed them(they work, and i even get the chime!) yet the same result! HELP PLEASE

2. May 7, 2007 #2 of 20
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Unplug your machine.

Leave it without electric power for a minute or two.

Plug it back in.

Wait for it to fully reboot.

Go into your menus and force a call.

See if it works.

Sometimes rebooting takes care of all sorts of weird problems.

Has there been an electrical storm recently, or has your machine received a software upgrade recently?

3. May 7, 2007 #3 of 20
    mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    It doesn't ever download programs, working modem or not.

4. May 7, 2007 #4 of 20
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    I think he means the guide info.

5. May 7, 2007 #5 of 20
    whppdhubby

whppdhubby New Member

May 7, 2007

Advertisements

simply dies during the updated program info. with the symptoms mentioned before.

6. May 7, 2007 #6 of 20
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Did you try calling the number yourself? Make sure you can hear a fax like type of noise.

Have you tried guided setup again? The TiVo will make another call using a different number - that will tell you if the modem is bad or not. See if it'll do the initial guided setup call.

7. May 7, 2007 #7 of 20
    wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Had a similar thing happen to me. It was the DSL filter that had died.

It kept on saying, Call Interrupted.

By chance you do not have DSL do you?

8. May 8, 2007 #8 of 20
    MonkeyBoy668

MonkeyBoy668 New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    If you're got DSL, or any broadband, you could always try connecting the Tivo to your internet connection via a USB ethernet/wireless adapter. No phonecall would be necessary at that point.

9. May 8, 2007 #9 of 20
    LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I had this problem a few weeks ago. Although I have used the same dial-in number for a few years and I could call the number and hear it pick up, the problem went away as soon as I picked a new dial-in number. You may want to try that as well. Good Luck!

10. valkaz

valkaz New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    TiVo got rid of/lost a lot of the local numbers. The same thing basically happened to us, but it kept saying "Service not answering." I too called the number myself, and it seemed to be working - but the TiVo cannot use it to get program guide info.

11. whppdhubby

whppdhubby New Member

May 7, 2007
    this is great! called toshiba and told them the problem, they said (and i agree) call tivo and ask. i did and got squat! since i had a toshiba unit TIVO would not answer any questions. and basically ended the conversation, what there was of it!
    every function on my unit works except the program downloads. i called back to toshiba and they took my phone number and will wait for them to call. at least they were nice about it!
    i agree that the program download issue should come from tivo directly since it is there programing. granted i get basic free service but i should get at least basic customer service you would think!

12. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Talk to TiVoJerry, TiVoStephen, or TiVoPony. One of them should be able to get someone to tell you if your local numbers have been changed or not.

You might also call TiVo again, and insist on talking to a supervisor, and make it clear you want info on the TiVo call-in numbers, not info on fixing a Toshiba machine.

13. whppdhubby

whppdhubby New Member

May 7, 2007
    i have installed a dsl filter that does not help! i went thru guided set 4 times and tivo calls in and downloads all the required fields. it is when it calls back again or when i force a call that it has the problem. somewhere between 2- 15 minutes thru it says call interupted. i have tried 4 different phone numbers listened in for the sound(it was the fax sound) all have the same results! unplugged unit 4 times for 20 plus minutes that did not help. what has be confused is that it works for the guided set up and not after that.

14. Knoman

Knoman New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Hiya Whupped! :)
    I have similiar probs with my Phillips series 1 Tivo. The unit will make the initial call but gets a "call interupted" when attempting to access the prog.guide data. My unit also makes a "tic-tic-tic.....over the phone line when plugged in. :( Have you picked up an extention while the unit was hooked up to the phone line or during a call to see if the Tivo modem is creating excessive or unusual line noise? :confused: I think the ticking on mine is killing the data download. It looks like I'll have to buy an external modem for mine... :eek:

15. whppdhubby

whppdhubby New Member

May 7, 2007
    here is what tivo say the problem is
    digital phone service! i know, i know i had it for 7 months before the problem........
    they say time warner is not compatable with tivo! in fact they say all digital is not for tivo. tivo is only to be used with analog phone service! anyone ever here that before? i know i am not the only one here with digital phone and tivo............they said it is not downloading 8.3 and perhaps i could take it to someone with a land line and try to download 8.3 there.......

16. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    The short answer is-yes, I've heard that before and have first hand experience.

Long answer... My experience with phone service is analog does work better. When I take TiVo with me on vacation I leave it hooked up to digital phone service. I use an inline filter to help it connect. I still have a few failed connections every now and then.

Try a filter for an alarm. I called my local cable company that does our digital phone and I told them that I had an alarm system that wasn't connecting now with the new digital phone service. They told me that the alarm needed a special filter and they gave me one for free. The filter from the cable company worked better then the Radio Shack filter. YMMV

17. whppdhubby

whppdhubby New Member

May 7, 2007
    connecting to a land line solved the problem!
    it would be nice that somewhere in th 2 manuels or on the box for tivo 2 that they would mention no digital service! however that still has me wondering why it worked for months!

18. Vincent3

Vincent3 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Could you please tell me the specs/type of inline phone filter the cable co. gave you? What did you try from Radio shack that did not work as well?
    Thanks.

19. Vincent3

Vincent3 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Massachusetts
    We just came across an old filter we had on hand (from the phone co. when we had interference from a nearby radio station). We tried it and were able to connect to our Digital Comcast phone line to get the Guided Setup working. It is a 0.5 to 3.0 MMHz inline phone line filter.

We're just trying to get the S2 software updated to be able to then use a USB adapter to connect to our network. Then we won't have to use the phone line again. **What a Catch-22- you have to use the phone line (preferably analog) to get the software updated on any old/refurbished/recently-shipped S2 before you can use any of the approved Network adapters.
    Hopefully we'll be in business here soon.
    :)

20. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Do you know about the ,#401 dialing prefix trick? It was a backdoor to wired ethernet connections several releases before official broadband support (it even worked on Series 1 ethernet connected machines). Google search it, if your phone line attempts don't work. It worked for me in ancient times for the initial setup, but there's a chance that modern wired USB adapters won't be backward compatible enough.