No Ordinary family, No ordinary visitors 11/9/10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mclark11, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 9, 2010 #1 of 19
    mclark11

mclark11 New Member

Feb 19, 2003

Advertisements

This show is getting worse every week. I can talk bad about it because it's been renewed. This week it was the dialog... It was painful how bad it was him talking about wanting to tell about his powers...
    I'm glad it's not being cancelled because I so want to like this show.... Can we get better writers

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I wanted to smack her parents every time they spoke. They would have been kicked out of my house if it was me. For such a strong guy, Jim has NO backbone.

3. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    It's turning into late-season Heroes, right down to - oops, there's no spoiler tag in the subject:
    right down to where it's painfully obvious that the villain is about to shoot somebody, only for the hero to show up (in Heroes' case, Hiro, who, of course, stops time with the bullet in mid-air) at exactly the right moment to prevent it.
    -- Don

4. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    A big :thumbsdown: to the in-laws. A :up: for Math Boy cleaning the father's clock in pool.

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Where did you read that it's been renewed? I'd be shocked if that was true, since TV networks don't usually make those decisions about their new shows until April or May.
    No spoiler tag necessary. The episode title and air date are in the thread title, and that's all that's required.
    And a big :thumbsdown: to the balls on the pool table being arranged in such a ridiculous position. No way they come to rest like that in normal game play, and no way the grandpa bets his car with the balls perfectly aligned like that.

If they're already dipping into the TV plot trough and coming out with "disapproving in-laws make an unannounced visit," I'm thinking the writers of this show don't have much creativity.

6. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
  7. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I think OP may be confused, it has been picked up for the full 22, but like you said most shows have not been renewed (aka another season) until much later into the current season.

8. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just to clarify, this wasn't it's biggest episode of the season. Its ratings (Adults 18-49) have been as follows:
    Ep. 1: 3.2 (final)
    Ep. 2: 2.7 (final)
    Ep. 3: 2.3 (final)
    Ep. 4: 2.2 (final)
    Ep. 5: 2.0 (final)
    Ep. 6: 2.2 (preliminary)

Total audience numbers are great for network press releases, but are meaningless when it comes to renewal prospects.

9. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I want to like it but it's about the last show I watch each week and it's hard to get through it. Not sure how much longer I can hold on.
    So many inconsistencies in how things affect them and how they interact with the world. Why, it's as if physics didn't exist

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    My biggest problem, along those lines, is that Jim jumps from rooftop to rooftop, and makes all kinds of loud thud noises when he lands, yet he never seems to do any damage to the roofs that he lands on.

11. allan

Oct 13, 2002
    Good point. Judging by those thuds, half the roofs in their town should have foot-sized holes in them. :) Not to mention all the torn up pavement when he hits the ground.

12. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Technically, he lost - obviously they were playing 8-ball, and if you sink the 8-ball in the same shot as you sink the rest of your balls, you still lose, even if the 8-ball is the last to actually fall into a pocket.

The pool shot brings up another problem with the show: knowing where and how to hit the cue ball to make the shot is one thing - but actually being able to do it isn't part of his superpowers. (Or is it?)

-- Don

13. allan

Oct 13, 2002
    Well, compared to playing football, the pool scene was total realism. :D

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    What allan said. Once he could "see" how football worked, he could suddenly throw the ball 50 yards downfield.

15. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    And how about the kid figuring out how a car works simply by looking in the engine compartment. Unless he has x-ray vision, that was another absurdity. It seems to be like that for every subject he suddenly masters, he just automatically knows stuff like terminology that can't simply be deduced. Also, I'm no mechanic, but his diagnosis didn't make any sense to me.

16. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Once again I now see why I am also confused when it comes down to TV ratings and that topic. :D

17. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    It's a TV show. I'm able to cut some slack on realism and just enjoy it. Which I did.

18. mclark11

mclark11 New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Well, they need to fix the kid. Here's the fix. Have the kid change his power to not only be smart but immediately get the super strength or coordination that is required by his thoughts... this should be temporary and come as needed. His power right now makes no sense.

19. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Yup, first thing I thought of. If I knew exactly where to hit the cue ball, and knew the exact velocity to hit it, i'd still not do it right without tons of practice.

-smak-