No Ordinary Family 3/22/11 - "No Ordinary Animal"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by getreal, Mar 23, 2011.

1. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth

Advertisements

Okay, so what happened to Julie Benz at the end? She was put through the paces in this episode -- what with getting gored by the bad guy, then suffering through a wicked infection, then getting injected by her non-medical hubby, and NOW what??

I had seen an interview with Chiklis a few weeks ago where he admitted that the early part of the season was pretty weak, but that we can expect for things to take on a darker and more interesting turn with Lucy Lawless as "Madame X" who oversees everything that Dr. King has been working on.

I am glad that the droopy-eyed bad guy (The Watcher) is finally out, and Katie being preggers was predictable once she had powers, so I'm liking that little storyline.

I still do not see any chemistry between Chiklis and Benz. And the kids and their storylines are still awful. But I am trying to stick with this show.

2. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area

We don't know based on what we saw. But in the previews ...

She ran into the future

3. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm glad to see that Daphne's realizing that mind-controlling others is wrong. The idea of a teenaged girl with that power is almost scarier than a wild, murderous super with claws. :eek:

4. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Finally a thread about this show. The first half of the season was weak but the second half is a 1000 times better. I don't like Daphne’s boyfriend he's going to get her into a lot of trouble one of these days. The fact that he threaten to tell his secret to the entire school if he doesn't help Wright the history paper was way over the line. I can't believe that J.J didn't tell Daphne what he said.

5. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

The show had a lot of potential but I sense a lot of network interference at work, especially at the beginning.

6. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    So Jim basically admits to Dr. King that they have powers (not that he didn't already know) and that they know he's up to no good, but when Stephanie is healed they just go home with no further confrontation or discussion with King?

Agreed on Daphne's boyfriend BTW. That was a pretty low move to blackmail J.J.. He may be smart, but he doesn't have the courage to stand up for himself when it's needed.

7. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This episode seemed to get better as it went along (although I, too, was surprised that they just went home after she got injected with the serum). I thought the ending run looked cool and am actually excited to see the new episode this Saturday.

Every time she runs, I can't help but think of what the Bionic Woman "could have been" with Julie Benz in it. ;)

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    A couple of things I like about how the show has developed:

1) I like how Julie Benz and Michael Chiklis' characters now work together to solve crimes and what not. I think it's more fun that way, and very "family"

2) I like how we now see that the "boss" has a boss and that there MAY be some heart underneath. I think they are supposed to be making him have a thing for Julie Benz, so maybe that's where it comes from. But I like how he MAY be being pushed into doing things he doesn't want to.

3) The Katie character is just really cute. A girl geek. I have to like that :)

And some things I hate:

1) I don't like the way they've developed the kids and their use of powers. Maybe the thought is that kids, because of peer pressure will wind up using it for no good, but I don't see that kind of characteristic in the way these characters were written. The daughter gets completely manipulated by the boyfriend. I don't buy it. And the son, why not just say no to the formula, or, give him the wrong answer?

2) Some of the baddies just seem to stock baddie for me. There doesn't seem to be consistency in who's powers can trump who's

3) If the powers are temporary, how come these people seem to have them permanently? Or am I forgetting something? I know there were certain things that blocked their powers but I don't recall them losing them altogether like some of the baddies did.

Overall, I like the show, and I agree, this could be so much more. But, I think, they are trying to keep it light family fare as opposed to a heavier superhero or sci fi show. So it's more like Parenthood meets Heroes. Better than watching CSI: Yahupetsvillle or whatever the 15th version of CSI is called :)

9. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    The family was immersed in the Amazon River where they were infused by the bubbles from the plant Dr. King is trying to study.

The baddies are all injected with the serum from the plant, and their powers are temporary.

So the difference (up to now) is in how the plant juice got into them. The Powells were infused by carbonated bubbles (supposedly getting into everything), while everyone else was injected (into veins).

It's the light family fare that kills this show. They need to make a decision. Either go SUPER or go home. We're at war, folks! Otherwise the terrorists have won! :D

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Now imagine a teenage boy with that power.

11. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Perhaps... but a teenage girl is already so manipulative, having a teenage boy with those powers might level the playing field.

12. allan

Oct 13, 2002
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think the show is not intended for sci fi geeks or comic book geeks, but someone who might like, say The Incredibles. I think that's where it's aimed. As such, it is supposed to be exactly what it is. As I fall into the camp that likes it because it IS less science and more family. I like this direction.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    There would probably be an increase in teenage pregnancy in that school!

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
  16. allan

Oct 13, 2002
    ^This! I see the similarity to The Incredibles, and I like that style. IMO, too many shows try for the "dark" style, which might work for Batman, but not so well for shows like this. This show is a lot more "fun" than many shows, without being silly.

17. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
  18. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    I'm a little confused. Didn't Dr King's boss wanted to kill him a couple of weeks ago by by blowing up the lab? Now she's taking over his work which was her work all along. I'm missing something.

19. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    My guess is that she time traveled.

20. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Don't think they'd be able to put that on network TV.