No Optical audio out

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by okleydokley, Jun 27, 2007.

1. okleydokley

okleydokley TiVo Vista Premium

May 15, 2002

Advertisements

I received my HD Tivo about three weeks ago (from tivocommunity store), and I am really enjoying it. However the optical audio does not seem to work. I have multiple DVD players that all work in my stereo, and I try the same cables and connections with my tivo and I get nothing. I do see light coming out of the connection and out of the cable when I hook it up. my stereo is a sony str-de845. I have tried switching the dolby digital to PCM, but still no results.
    I would like to know if there is anything else to try, or if I need a repair (exchange)?

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Have your tried rebooting TiVo? (Unplug it for 15 seconds and plug it back in.) Each time it boots up TiVo "reads" the connections, HDMI, component, composite, optical, etc. If it were connected in a different way prior, connecting it using only the optical audio out and rebooting may cure it.

Of course on the other end you need to make sure your receiver is set properly. Most setup programs require you to specify each component's audio/video connection. If it's not looking for an optical connection, there won't be any communication between the two units. But then you probably knew that. ;)

3. okleydokley

okleydokley TiVo Vista Premium

May 15, 2002
    This ended up being a defective unit.. I had it swapped out and the new one works great.
    I just hope I won't end up with a problem getting my rebate now.

4. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Good to hear everything's working now. :up:

5. cdp1276

cdp1276 Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Portland, OR

Advertisements

Has anyone had issues with an optical connection to a 5.1 stereo receiver not having the standard TiVo sound effects as you channel change etc...? It works when I'm in TiVo menu's but not when channel changing and such...

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
  7. zackangelo

zackangelo New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I'd like to hook my Series3 up to a DVI-D display device. Does anyone know if I'll be able to use the HDMI output (via an HDMI-to-DVI converter) and the optical out simultaenously?

8. Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    Hampton, VA
    You'll have no problem doing that; the optical out is available all the time, regardless of what other outputs are used.