No new guide data for 30 days - S03 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dougdingle, Jun 24, 2017.

1. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

I got a notice today that my Roamio Pro hasn't been able to get data for 30 days, and when I check the status screen it says Failed..S03 error. I'm given to understand this means the channel guide database is corrupt, and new data won't load.

It connects fine, downloads the data OK, takes a looooong time to load (I gave up watching after an hour at 40%), but in the end it fails with the S03 error.

I've read suggestions for other models , including KickStart 57, deleting the guide data and todo list, and leaving the Tuning Adapter disconnected for a couple of days. I haven't seen anything specific for the Roamio Pro.

My GC (Garbage Collection?), Indexing, and VCM dates are all current, and strangely, I have guide data to July 5th (12 days worth), which I don't understand at all.

Anyone have this problem and find a fix?

And as an aside, why ON EARTH wait 30 days to tell me about the problem? What's wrong with issuing the first warning after 5 days?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The thing to do, with error S03, is to run "Clear Program Info & ToDo List." Do not run Guided Setup or you will never get out if it.

3. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I've read in a few places (but not about the Roamio) that running "Clear Program Info & ToDo List." could result in an endless boot loop that can't be fixed. Have you heard anything like that?

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    You're already hosed, what's the harm in doing the clear? Worst case you replace the drive with a new one (or format the one you have in a PC) and start from scratch.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

No, only when TiVo's servers are down you may end up without a guide. That has happened when guide updates stopped for several days. I will say that it may be more risky on weekends. TiVo's tech people only seem to work on weekdays. I have done a CPI&TDL many times between two Roamio and one Premiere.

Note that a guide update (network connection) always happens with 30 minutes of a restart or power cycle. A VCM connection happens at the end of the update. If data is received, you will also see the Last Index time update. Otherwise indexing is done twice a day.

tim1724 and ClearToLand like this.
  6. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    @slowbiscuit I'm not exactly 'already hosed'. I have guide data out 12-14 days, all indexes are current as of this morning, so it seems to be using the data it's getting, it just doesn't set some bit correctly to acknowledge that - telling me I haven't has a successful connection in 30 days while showing me guide data for the next 14. I would have run out of guide data two weeks ago if what it was telling me was true.

Also, I've got close to 300 hours of recordings that I would prefer not to trash unless there was absolutely no other choice.

@JoeKustra, thanks for the encouraging words that CPI&TDL has not been fatal for you many times. I have a couple of more things to try, and then I'll try that.

I find it somewhat strange that I haven't been able to find a single instance of this happening in the Roamio forums until I posted this. It's happened in other boxes, just not the Roamio where anyone has posted anything about it.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You don't lose recordings unless you C&DE. Recordings stick with a guided setup too. CPI&TDL may reset some flags on a streaming 1P, there are no other effects I can think of. It usually takes 30 minutes on my basic Roamio, and a second connection is done to fill out the guide. Figure an hour.

There were problems with S03 back in 2014.

tim1724 likes this.
  8. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I was not so much concerned with losing recordings per se, I was more concerned with getting stuck in a boot loop and losing everything.

9. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I initiated a CPI&TDL. I'll report back when it's done.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Cool. Maybe your search failed because you entered SO3 instead of S03. Try a search from the Main TiVo Forums for a lot of posts. :)

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think those posts were from the older units with faulty power supply.

12. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    So CPI&TDL finished. Including a connect to mom, the entire thing took about 40 minutes.

It finished, rebooted, downloaded guide data and attempted to load it, tells me it failed with the same error. However, once again guide data goes out 13 days to July 7th, and the dates on all the indexes on the system info page, including GC, are from today.

The only upside is that I had two 'ghost' Now Playing entries that had no actual shows and which I couldn't delete, are they are now gone.

I'm really stumped. If things don't clear up in the next couple of days, I suppose KS58 is the next option, as nervous as that makes me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    So Sorry. I'm out of ideas. Check it tomorrow after it's scheduled connection and if it's still bad, perhaps you might try a change of zipcode with guided setup that is from the same headend. I know which zipcodes my headend supplies, but only one has the latest channel changes. Good luck.

14. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Oops. Yeah. That's exactly what I did.

Apparently, I can't change the title of this thread, either.

15. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    @Dan203 can edit the title if you PM him w/ the LINK of the OP.

16. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Someone fixed it for me...thanks to whoever it was.

17. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    So I did another 'clear data and todo' but this time I watched the entire procedure because I wanted to see if the guide was truly empty after the 'clear data' procedure. Took it (literally) 4 minutes to clear everything, after which it rebooted and both the guide and tdl were empty.

Then it connected, and the exact same thing happened - connected, took roughly 8 seconds to do the download, then it started loading the data until it hit 30%, then it accelerated rapidly to 42%, after which it failed. So I look at the guide, and it's fully populated until 8 AM July 8th.

So now I don't know if it cached the previous data and just reloaded it after the failure, or if it truly loaded the new data. By the time I looked at the tdl, it had also repopulated. Can it download 14 days of guide data in 8 seconds? No idea.

I think I'm going to leave it alone for a few days, see if the guide data keeps extending out to remain at 13-14 days. My sense is that it is actually updating OK, it just doesn't flip the bit to say so, but I could be wrong about that.

It keeps telling me the last successful connection was somewhere around mid-May, but that is obviously false.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes, downloads are much faster with new TiVo. They must be more compressed, but "Loading..." takes longer. I guess it's all those long stupid descriptions. My usual one day guide extension downloads in a second and takes four minutes to load.

If you really want to test further, change your zipcode. Run Guided Setup which will force a new lineup. Then (assuming it works) change it back. It could be your specific feed. My zipcode has locations for different headends, but they are all the same now. Something that changed when the guide source changed. My selection hasn't existed in three years, but has the latest changes. If I use the zipcode of my local office, there are three different lineups but two are identical except for changes done last month.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  19. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    An update: I've been watching the the thing connect since Sunday, it has done so several times, and each time it fails. The network connect page says 'Failed - No open ports', while the system Info continues to say 'Error S03'.

However, the guide is updating daily. I now have two more days of guide than I did on Sunday. The todo list continues to populate, and scheduled recordings record.

A weird internal error of some sort, since everything is working, but it thinks updates fail. I'm going to continue to watch it, not do anything for now.

Any idea what "Failed - no open ports" means?

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Ok, I'll get down to basics.
    The unit is bad. or
    There's an issue with your network that only affects guide updates. or
    Your location and cable provider/ISP have a problem.

What you can do: connect directly to your cable modem & reconfigure the network. I've never done this, but it will eliminate any router problems. My cable internet does not have security, so I won't test this.

Try a zipcode far, far away. A guide is a guide.

I don't know if you want to really start from scratch, but C&DE would be like having a new unit. You may even have to get your cable card paired again. This is as drastic as changing the hard drive, which will require a cable card pairing even though it may not be needed to get running. I changed my hard drive and waited a year to get my card paired again, but I have no premium channels.

As for existing recordings: Easier to use pyTivo is a good tool. Be sure to read the TS/PS part.