No Network....

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TaDa, Oct 23, 2010.

1. TaDa

TaDa New Member

Sep 10, 2007

Advertisements

Hi!

Earlier this year I had my TiVo and PC playing nicely using ftp, telnet etc

But having not played with it for a while I just wanted to connect to my TiVo again.

But it seems like the network is not up on the TiVo :-(

I have restarted TiVo twice and I have pinged the full 255 possible ip addresses in my subnet (lest I'd changed it to static ip and forgotten!) and also checked the DHCP logs on my routers to find it - all to no avail :(

Have I forgotten something simple? Is there a way in TiVo itself to kick start the network?

Cheers

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Is it still downloading program data ok via your home network?

Automan.

3. TaDa

TaDa New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Hi Automan!

I never set it up to download that way - I left it with the phone connected.

Just as well really - because the ip/mains system I was using packed up!
    Its only recently I have bought a better one - well, I hope better - and reinvigorated my desire to network the TiVo.

4. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Cool,
    It is not good that you cannot ping it.
    Do you get an indicator light on the hub/switch/router that the cable from TiVo is plugged into?
    Lastly have your recently replaced or changed your broadband router?

If yes it may have a different ip range from your old one and TiVo only has a static ip option.

Lastly, when you power up TiVo do you get the cachecard loading message?

Automan.

5. TaDa

TaDa New Member

Sep 10, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks for the ongoing help...

Yes, the switch gets a light on it
    (my xbox does the same and that is visible on the network - so the switch is connected)
    Broadband router is the same one.

I do not have a cachecard - I believe its a turbonet - either way I get no boot message when I reboot the TiVo (I just did and watched it avidly)

Hmm, is it beginning to look like the ip address is not in my subnet?
    (which'd be weird I've used this one for _years_!)

6. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    The default IP address for a Cachecard and Turbonet card is 192.168.1.200 (from what I can find).

It may be worth trying to ping that IP assuming your home network is on 192.168.1.xxx

If your home network is not on 192.168.1.xxx it may be worth just setting a PC IP details from DHCP to static and giving it the address of 192.168.1.20 with subnet of 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1 and then see if you can ping 192.168.1.200

Good luck

Automan.

7. dashforth

dashforth New Member

Mar 8, 2005
    When I am trying to connect to a newly acquired TiVo where I do not know the IP then I use a free IP scanner from radmin.com (sorry, cannot post links). It will automatically check all 255 addresses on your subnet.

8. SPR

SPR New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Guildford,...
    Or use packet capture (e.g. wireshark) & look for an arp request from TiVo.
    Will get the address if it's in a different subnet then too

9. Nov 6, 2010 #9 of 12
    TaDa

TaDa New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Ok, I found my ip address
    I installed nmap and then ran nmap XXX.YYY.ZZZ.0-255
    This showed nothing
    Then I rebooted my TiVo and reran it and it found it
    (I did take TiVo apart and reapply the network card but I think that was a red herring I fed myself!)

Anyway, TiVo only seemed to serve up telnet for a minute after a reboot - after that, it would close down all the ports.
    Just so long as I got in within that first minute I was ok!

Anyway, it turns out my /var/hack dir had been removed and I'd lost all my settings.

So I've had a happy evening reapplying all the extras!

Cheers for all the help - I hope this helps anyone else in this pain!

10. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    I think rapid power cycling makes Tivo run an auto repair script which erases anything it does not like including /var/hack

Also the same util can run if it sees drive errors which it tries the fix GSOD "Green Screen Of Death"

Automan.

11. BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    The most common thing that disables the network shortly after booting is the maximum level of logging of the network card being turned on. For some reason that stops the card actually working.

12. Teepee

Teepee New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Hi Brian, my network has always been very flakey on the Tivo. The Telnet, ftp and http servers seem to appear and disappear at random for minutes at a time. Is there a way to adjust the above level of logging to prevent this happening?