No Netflix Browsing..yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Rich8899, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Rich8899

Rich8899 New Member

Aug 21, 2004
    Medway, MA

Advertisements

I know this has been discussed a little in the past but I feel it needs to be shared and commented on...

Why does my piece of you know what Wii system have a better interface to Netflix than my awesome Premier?

Having to add movies to a cue is ridiculous and a PITA.

I want to look through the available titles from my couch in front of my main system! My kids have a better Netflix browser than I do!

Come on Tivo!

2. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    If you have a Premiere, you can use it's "universal search" to find titles, see if they are available via Netflix (or Amazon) and then play them directly. I know it's not as simple as a Netflix app that can do all the same things the Wii (and Xbox 360 and AppleTV) can do, but it does work, and in some ways, is even better.

3. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    TiVo Search can do this on TiVo Series3 and the TiVo HDs as well. Just set the filter up with "Source=Downloads Only" and "Cost=Free" and nearly all of your search hits will have Netflix streams. You can add other filters along with this, like "HD Sci Fi Action Adventure Movies".

The awkward part is that you do have to enter search term text and there are no wildcards. So I end up entering "A" to see all of the titles which match my filter which begin with "A", hitting CLEAR and entering "B" and so forth. Better than nothing and it's actually more powerful than the embedded player library browsers.

4. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    Because TiVo has proven by its actions that it only cares about the checkbox that it has Netflix - not about actually making the offering competitive with the many other options like Roku, BD players, etc.

There are many things wrong with TiVo's implementation. You'll find lots of complaints in these forums (and a bunch of comments from people who have no issues at all).

5. chemosh6969

chemosh6969 New Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

I don't see how it's better in any way. All the other pieces of hardware that have Netflix, including PS3 and Roku, can do a search by title also.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo is all about integration. They want to make it so you can use a single search UI to find any program whether it's in the upcoming TV guide data or available via a service such as Netflix, Amazon, etc... This approach makes it so you can find what you're looking for from almost any source. However because it's generic it does not take advantage of the unique search/recommendation features offered by the individual services themselves.

I think that right now this feature, like a lot of the the HD UI, is only 1/2 finished. In the future I think TiVo will better integrate Netflix data into the search so that it can use things like your Netflix ratings to offer better suggestions and more targeted searches. For now you pretty much have to know what you're looking for to find it, and even then the data is not always accurate as to whether it's available via Netflix or not.

Basically I think that in the future Nextflix and TiVo will get more integrated and the actually Netflix app used to play the programs will be nothing more then a shell to display the actual video stream. Unlike other devices which are improving the Netflix app to include searching/indexing options specific to just Netflix.

Dan

7. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    Whether it's absolutely accurate or not, as I explained above you can sort of use TiVo Search to browse the Netflix library, with complex filters which aren't even available in the PC web interface.

8. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    I am more interested in Dolby Digital 5.1 support as well as closed captioning.

Does the NetFlix client on the Premier support 1080p like the PS3?

9. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    AFAIK, only the PS3's Netflix player has support for 1080p and 5.1 sound, and it uses a different set of encodings from the others (AVC with DD audio rather than VC-1 with WMA audio). I've been maintaining an incomplete list of titles with 5.1 sound here. The PS3 also supports closed-captioning in a small set of titles (as do the PC, Mac and Wii) which you can see here.

Netflix has stated that both features will be coming to other platforms, but hasn't indicated when.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think Sony made an exclusive deal with Netflix for the 1080/DD5.1 streams. So we'll have to wait until that expires before we can get access to them on the TiVo.

Dan