No more 'watchdog' on Series 2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by controlio, Jan 4, 2006.

1. controlio

controlio New Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Garden...

Advertisements

I've noticed that on two of the Tivos that I've upgraded, I'm experiencing some hard lockup issues that only a power cycle will fix. The units seem to stop responding completely, ignoring remote commands and freezing on whatever video frame they were on when the crash occured.

I know that the old Series 1 Tivos used to have some sort of a 'watchdog' process that would reboot the system at the first sign of a lockup or crash... it was probably even a little overzealous. Never, even with my extensive hacking and prodding, did I ever get the unit to freeze up.... only reboot.

Why don't these new units react the same way? Is there a way to make them reboot, so I don't potentially lose a day's recordings? And is there any way to determine what's wrong without taking the box out of my rack and disassembling it to enable backdoors and retrieve the logfiles?

Thanks in advance.

2. crow

crow Ub3r Techno Geek

Jun 23, 2004
    TN, USA
    If by upgraded you mean HD space, it could be a problem with the swap file not being initialized properly.. Check on DDB, they have some pretty good info about this..

Good luck,

--CroW