No more Tuning Adapter!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by pshivers, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Aug 3, 2019 #1 of 11
    pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas

Advertisements

Wd just moved from Southern California (Spectrum), to Lubbock, Texas (Suddenlink) and to my surprise Suddenlink was able to get both of my Roamios up and running on their system In one visit!

It was not promising as the first tech had no idea what a cable card was or what it might be used for, not mention he had never seen a non Suddenlink Tivo...

Couple phone calls later and two x a.c ble cards were on their with a Tech that was familiar with customer owned Tivos.

Paired up the new cards and a few minutes later I had full cable TV access and no Tuning Adapter required!

Surprisingly they were not able to get my internet and phone working yet. I had to use my MiFi for internet to reconfigure the Tivos to their new location...

I am glad I decided against using their troublesome Altice One system...

Progress I guess.... lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Aug 3, 2019 #2 of 11
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    No TA! Hooray!

No internet? Boo!
    Will the internet have caps?

compuguy and pshivers like this.
  3. Aug 4, 2019 #3 of 11
    pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    No caps on the internet as the400 mbps option or higher comes with unlimited data.

I'm in a new subdivision and all houses are getting fiber to the house!

Internet should be very good once they figure out what is wrong.

4. pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    My Tivo Network Status Uptime is now 57 days and counting of uninterrupted TiVo uptime after activating my Suddenlink account here in Lubbock.

In SoCal using Spectrum with a TA I was rebooting my TiVo at least weekly along with calling the Spectrum Tech Support line to refresh my box so I would get all my channels back...

400 mbps internet and phone service are doing well also..

Nothing to do but enjoy my Entertainment system.

DBrunetti, kpeters59 and NorthAlabama like this.
  5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

And no fires, no deliberate power outages, no corrupt power company that couldn't avoid bankruptcy despite some of the highest rates in the country. Congratulations on your move!

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When you come down from your happiness high, update your profile's address. I'm happy for you. :)

7. pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    My SoCal electric bill was $400-$500 per month during the Summer last year...

In my new home that is over 1,000 sq ft larger, my electric bill for the same time period this year is $124.

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Lol - It took awhile to figure out where to properly update my Tivo Community profile, now I need to fix my tapatalk signature...

kpeters59 likes this.
  9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    What are some companies doing right that no tuning adapter is needed? If Suddenlink which I don't think is a huge company can provide all channels without a dated, old, recycled pos why can't all providers?

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    SDV is just a trick for packing more channels into a given bandwidth. Systems that use it have to include the functionality of a TA in their boxes although apparently that circuitry is more reliable than the separate TA. TiVo's and tuner cards need TA's to receive all channels on such systems. TiVo would have been out of business back in 2007 without TA's.

11. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    FIOS has more bandwidth due to using fiber, and they do VOD over IP; so they get by, but they are still limited by the number of channels QAM supports.