No More National HD until 2007 !!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DVRaholic, Jan 12, 2006.

1. DVRaholic

DVRaholic I love my Series 3

Mar 28, 2004
    Woodlawn-Bro...
    According to this Post at SatelliteGuys Dont Expect any National HD channels to be added Until the First of the last 2 Satellites goes up in Early 2007!!!! . :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
    I just wish they could throw us a couple NOW :(

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=449304&postcount=25

2. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    To jump from "expect a massive increase in both HD picture quality and national HD offerings" (as posted in the forum you link to), to "don't expect any national HD channels to be added..until..early 2007" is quite a leap. DirecTV has already stated several times they are going to be very agressive in the HD local rollout, and that national channels would possibly be added, but that they have a very tight amount of bandwidth to work with in MPEG2 (until a MPEG4 trade-out begins with the 800,000 current HDTV D* subscribers, they are going to be very cautious about adding HD nationals as MPEG4 channels...that would piss off a lot of current subscribers who would then be FORCED to upgrade to an MPEG4 box to receive those added channels).

I'm only guessing from postings on numerous boards, but...I wouldn't be surprised if they added TNT-HD, HGTV-HD, MTV-HD, and/or FOOD-HD within 8-10 weeks. **PURE SPECULATION**

3. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    I've been saying this for months.

4. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    BTW, "early 2007" is less than a year away. :)

5. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Really Dan? NO additional national HD channels on D* until early 2007?? Is that what you're hearing??

6. generalpatton71

generalpatton71 Open,Flash and clear

Oct 30, 2002
    Classified
    iF VOOM was still around I'd be begging tivo to make a deal with them lol. Man it would be nice to have 50 HD channels right now.

7. mssturgeon

mssturgeon New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    They are still around, as a programming provider. They just do not transmit via their own satellites anymore. You can get almost all of the channels Voom used to have on Dish as of Feb. 1st. 25 HD channels for $20 package price.

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/2006/01/ces_-_day_1.php

- Shane

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    Dan recently posted on his board that he thinks they likely will compress the current HD and SD on the Ku sats some more to fit in a little more HD. With Sunday Ticket gone, I'd say that sounds likely to me- squish some more and add a couple channels to say they did something.

9. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    Didnt DISH just announce a ton of HD content it quired from VOOM? Seems like thats a big incentive to get DTV moving along. Dont they share satellites with DISH?

10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I started occasionally looking at the dish forum here

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=43

it's amazing...they ***** like we do too....i dont know all the specifics, but it appears they are rationed to one free trade in mpeg4 receiver if i'm reading it right.

Hope dtv doesn't do that for you poor people that have more than one tivo

11. jdk

jdk New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    nope - each provider much launch its own satellites.

LonhornXP (who has a knowledgeable inside source) confirmed this for me a few weeks back on a different board and in an unrelated thread - I'll see if I can find it.
    (I was waiting for the word to get out on the main boards - I was surprised there wasn't more of an outrage about this...)
    I then went back and re-read any official annoucements or press releases. They all can be easily intrepreted to say that new national HD programming is coming in 2007.

12. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    They ***** like we do, in quantity, maybe a little more. But they seem to ***** more about PVR problems than they do DBS problems. I guess that is because they have more PVR problems and we have more DBS problems (at least as far as HD is concerned).

13. scooby2

scooby2 Member

Dec 24, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Wait for the hr20-250. I'm sure we will be bitching as much if not more as them then.

14. Robdec

Robdec Dude

Oct 3, 2002
    Atlanta,GA
    I just find it hard to beleive that we will not see any more HD channels till 2007. What a bunch of crap :(

15. GTO40

GTO40 Tivo Addict

Jul 25, 2005
    Midwest -...
    The lack of installed HD MPEG4 receivers & DVR in the marketplace is possibly why D* is conservatively waiting for early 2007. I would expect a large rollout once their new HD-DVR & Home Media Server meet a minimum installed subscriber base.

16. mssturgeon

mssturgeon New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    There will almost definitely be more HD channels on DTV this year. With National Geographic, HGTV, and Food Network already planning channel launches this by the end of spring, DTV has to expand their offering in order to compete with Dish. You better believe Dish will be adding more. DTV is already planning on adding National Network feeds in MPEG-4 to replace the West Coast networks this summer, but I can see where those don't necessarily count as "National HD Channels".

And did anyone read the article referenced in the first post? Nowhere in that article did LonghornXP say "Don't Expect any National HD channels to be added Until the First of the last 2 Satellites goes up in Early 2007". He said "Once 2007 comes around and the first of the last two satellites go up expect a massive increase in both HD picture quality and national HD offerings." Quite different statements.

My point is that there will likely be a number of new HD offerings this year, and DTV cannot afford not to keep up with Dish. However, that does not necessarily mean that these new HD offerings will be available in MPEG-2. DTV may decide to do the same thing Dish is doing: Adding any new HD channels in MPEG-4 only.

My $0.02,

- Shane

17. sp1dey

sp1dey New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    I firmly believe there will be more channels this year... too many biggies coming on line. The question is at what expense. Personally, as much as I love my HD Tivo, I hope they add all the available channels, and add them in MPEG4. It's the direction they are going and our Tivos are on borrowed time anyway. D* has a limited time to wow me and might as well put all their cards on the table. If next year I'm still not pleased, hopefully the Series 3 Tivo is available and I'll jump ship. We all have options and might as well get the ball rolling. That being said, I won't upgrade to MPEG4 until the HD DVR is ready, even it if means I won't be able to enjoy an expanded HD pack... but I'd still rather know these channels are available.

18. jdk

jdk New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    OK - you're correct. I want to reword my statement to say:

I don't belive we'll see any new Ka-MPEG4 national channels until 2007.

DirecTV will probably squeeze in a few channels on their current satellite positions - squeeze being the key word.

19. MarcusInMD

MarcusInMD New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Outdoor HD has been up and ITC since spring of last year. As well as one or two others that recently came online.

20. garywj

garywj New Member

May 3, 2005
    I was told by 2 different D* Reps that they have been instructed to say that there will be no new nation wide HD channels on D* until 2007. Their are no plans to add PBS, WB or UPN to their local channels. They are spending the next year bringing on line their 1500 local channels which only include CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX. They are also busy putting D* on your Cel-Phone and doing anything other then adding HD channels.