No more Lifetime?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by arw03, Mar 31, 2011.

1. arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    I've been looking into DVR options. Cable boxes aren't really an option for me, and I'd rather have my own box I can take if/whenever I need to move. Not interested in ongoing charges, wanted to just buy a box with Lifetime subscription.

The main site seemed incredibly lacking in information for it, so I resorted to one of those chats, where I was told the Premiere isn't sold with the Lifetime plan. What hell?

Either they actually mean that's not an option anymore, or the other option maybe is I'd have to buy it with some monthly package, and switch it to Lifetime when I get it. Similar option would be buying it at BB and then activating a Lifetime, maybe?

This whole site seems kinda indicative of the customer service reviews I've seen...

If Lifetime really isn't an option, I'mma probably go for Moxi. Same idea with its own set of issues.

Anyway, input?

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    You can purchase Product Lifetime Service if you purchase the hardware directly from TiVo. See the TiVo Payment Plan options.

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    You cannot buy "lifetime" service on a subsidized TiVo box (which is what they are pushing right now). If you pay full price for the box, you can add lifetime.

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivoservicepaymentplanstermsandconditions.html

"(ii) You may purchase a TiVo box at the full MSRP (no instant savings) and subscribe to the TiVo Service on a monthly basis for $12.95 a month with a one (1) year commitment (renews monthly after 1 year) or you may purchase a Product Lifetime Subscription (defined below) for a onetime fee of $399."

4. arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    Yes, this is what research was leading me to, and what I planned on. Maybe my query should've been clearer.

However, the site doesn't make it very clear how to actually go about this. It's not an option you can choose while purchasing, that I've seen. Which led me to "buy it full price with whatever plan, change it to lifetime when it gets here."

5. Apr 1, 2011 #5 of 41
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yeah, I noticed that too. It is very odd. I wonder if they just really don't want to promote lifetime right now. Just call them, they are really nice :)

6. Apr 1, 2011 #6 of 41
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Does this also apply to Premiere refurbs? I've heard that you can get one of these with $12.95 monthly and then switch to lifetime within the first 30 days. They don't have them in stock right now but have had them for $99 before.

7. Apr 1, 2011 #7 of 41
    KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I chatted with the CS people on-line and on the phone before I went and got the TIVO at Best Buy. They both said that after the year commitment I could purchase the lifetime. I asked the question again and they said it didn't matter the orgin of the purchase and I was very clear I was on the one year 19.99 plan. I did save the transcript of the CS online chat, so if they go back on their word they will have a fight on their hand.

8. Apr 1, 2011 #8 of 41
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I meant you can't buy lifetime on a subsidized unit while you are still under your year contract. Once you have paid off your loan (because that is all a subsidized unit is), I don't see why you couldn't then pay for and get lifetime service.

9. Apr 1, 2011 #9 of 41
    arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    So, hopefully my last bit of hesitation before I give in for this.

What I need to purchase is the full price $299 box with the $12 monthly or however much it is. When it gets here, I should be able to "upgrade" that plan to the lifetime subscription, and it shouldn't cost me anything extra, right? There was just something in one of the policies pages that said something about canceling a monthly subscription could incur a cost that had me a bit worried.

10. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    imho, you're asking in the wrong place. I would call them up and ask them.

When you say anything extra, you do mean in terms of "breaking" the monthly charge. of course you'll have to pay the lifetime fee.

11. arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    Yeah, calling. *sighgrumble*hatephones...

But anyway, this is what concerns me. Part 4.1, about an early termination fee.

But you're right, that's a bit too specific for answers in the community.

Edit: Another chat, and a bit clearer on what I was asking for, and I do indeed need to call to purchase the full price box with lifetime subscription.

12. real_goose

real_goose Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Tampa FL
    That's exactly what I did. Once I received my refurb I upgraded to lifetime.

13. KCcardsfan

KCcardsfan New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    OK misunderstood. They did say I would not be able to switch to the 12.95 plan if you stay monthly the 19.99 is attatched to the box.

14. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    I got my Premiere in April 2010. I had never had TiVo before so I chose to pay the yearly amount of $129.00 for a year. I bought the TiVo from Amazon but paid the retail price with no discount. This year I got an email from TiVo which offered me the lifetime for $100.00 off. When I went to the website in the email, it didn't have the lifetime offer. I tried chatting with TiVo and they said the only way to get it was to call TiVo. I called and the lady at TiVo said her system wasn't allowing her to give me the lifetime for $100.00 off. I got a little upset with her and asked for her supervisor because they needed to honor it since I received an email from TiVo directly giving me the offer. After a few moments she comes back on the line and says the system now is letting her do it. I don't know what's going on with TiVo but it seems they are resisting the lifetime more and more especially with the discount of $299.00. I didn't do the lifetime at first because I wanted to make sure I was happy with it before going to lifetime. I would say I have had very little problems with the Premiere compared to my old Dish 722 especially when it comes to reception problems.

15. WillH

WillH Member

May 26, 2010
    North Atlanta
    Funny, your post is eerily similar to my experience. See my post here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=467525

Almost identical situation. Well, at least we can commiserate with each other.:)

I did get the $100 off lifetime in the end. Shouldn't have to fight the incompetence/bureaucracy every time we deal with them though.

16. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon

You're stuck at $20 with the free boxes.

17. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    Yes, it is very similar. The only difference is I like the technical support tons better than with Dish because these people speak english as opposed to the Dish technical support who only pretend to speak english and we have to spend all the time repeating ourselves until the other party understands. This to me is one of the reasons I decided on the lifetime with TiVo.

18. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Although I have had my share of problems with the Premiere, itself, the customer support/service people at TiVo are just fantastic on the phone. Fast, courteous, pleasant, easy to understand, and helpful.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Except when they change your Media Access Key rendering several Terabytes of recordings useless.:mad:

20. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    You should be able to see the option in your online account to convert an unsubsidized box to Lifetime (but only within the 30-day return window) if you hate phones that much.