No more HD channels for me.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by m_jonis, Dec 20, 2007.

1. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY

Advertisements

Seems our local TW is putting all their new HD channels on SDV only.

Guess SDV isn't "widely deployed" yet.

Although I suppose I could return my Tivo and suffer with the TW SA box for another year until something comes out. Be cheaper too.

2. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Maybe this will help. 'Cable operators will make the new adapters available for TiVo customers in the second quarter of 2008.'

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/pressroom/pressreleases/2007/NCTAANDTIVOANNOUNCESWITCHEDDIGITALSOLUTIONFORHDDVRs.html

You could cancel TWC until then... and send them a message. Use OTA and get your locals in HD for free.

3. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Well the "SDV" adapter dongle is reported to soon be released Q1 of 2008. So you shouldn't have to wait much longer.

Some are saying this should be provided by your cable co. Might give them a call and ask them.

TGC

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Where are you?

5. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida

Advertisements

From the linked article: "Cable operators will make the new adapters available for TiVo customers in the second quarter of 2008."

6. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Albany, NY

7. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Yeah, and this coming from the same cable companies that were supposed to have cable card ready like 2 years ago?

And they supposedly will be available at no charge?

As Mel on Alice used to say "when pigs fly" (or was that Flo?)

As much as I'd like it to happen I highly doubt the "friendly" cable company will be producing them any time soon and certainly not for free. The FCC seems impotent on this issue.

8. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Indeed -- so, in a nutshell, in the second quarter at the earliest, but practically speaking, don't even begin to expect it until late this year, or next year. This kind of thing is simply not an FCC priority.

9. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Zactly and canceling your service because they won't play nice with your Tivo makes the most sense to me. If everyone were to stop taking this crap from them... then eventually things would change.

When customers decide I'll just use the TWC box because it's less hassle then you're doing exactly what they want.

Cancel your service and be sure to site the reason.... then just use OTA for a while... you'd be surprised but you can live without it.