No more dial in number. Are these my only options?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mrskay9, Sep 9, 2007.

1. mrskay9

mrskay9 New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Hi. I read a thread on the Coffee House forum about Tivo getting rid of some dial in numbers.

I'm in the middle of no where with dial up.

I've got a Series 2 (Dish Network sat). It is hooked to my network just to get some movies on my computer. It's not hacked-I don't even know what that would mean.

So are my options to do the once a week call in or pay the Long Distance charges?

I tried using "Use Network Instead" and it said Service Not Found. So I'm assuming that's only for broadband people?

thanks in advance.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can connect through your home network to the internet connection you do have, assuming you have one and it is suitable.

3. mrskay9

mrskay9 New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Thanks. I'll look around today then and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm on dial up. Suitable? I'm not sure I'd use that term. But thank you.

4. Narf54321

Narf54321 New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    I used to have one of those SMC Barricade routers with the serial-port on the back. You could, and in fact I did for awhile, set up an external modem and have it automatically dial out and connect to the Internet whenever required. It had several Ethernet ports for connecting various computers (or Tivos) in the house.

These days, if you're willing to leave the computer on full-time, you can usualy use something like Windows Internet Connection Sharing to allow other machines in the house to use the 'Net through your computer's dial-up.