No more Comcast in Dallas soon?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tfederov, Apr 28, 2005.

1. tfederov

tfederov M GO BLUE!!!

Jul 6, 2003
    Plano, TX

Advertisements

Dallas Morning News is reporting that Time Warner will be taking over the Comcast customers in the Dallas area. So much for that Comcast/TiVo DVR in the next few years... Now if DIRECTV drops TiVo, I'll have to wait for the Cable Card HD TiVo before switching back to cable. :(

2. jhwpbm

jhwpbm Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Texas
    I just read this, too. What a bummer! I was so looking forward the the great TiVo interface on the Comcast HD DVR. . .maybe Time Warner will do a deal with TiVo, too (he says hopefully).

3. Crash_Corrigan

Crash_Corrigan New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Don't you love being passed from cable monopoly to cable monopoly? Continental Cable swapped service areas with TCI Cable here in 1996 and drove me to straight to satellite. TCI was that bad.

My mom's cable service passed through a wide variety of companies...Storer, Cencom, Crown, Charter (but I may be missing a cable operator or two).

Comcast may be great, but if they decide they don't want to service your area any more, they stick you with another provider. Nice.

4. papabrody

papabrody New Member

Apr 30, 2001
    I happen to be one of the lucky few who live in a community that has two cable franchisees (Comcast and RCN). Due to this, Comcast is much slower to pull their monopolistic stuff in this community and even spent a small fortune upgrading all the lines here. I don't know why more communities don't go to a dual franchise. (I actually do - $$$ contributed to campaign funds)

5. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO

Advertisements

Is your mom from St Louis? That was the same path my cable co's have went.

6. Crash_Corrigan

Crash_Corrigan New Member

Feb 27, 2004

Yes, my mom used to live in Florissant (in North St. Louis County) before she moved into the nursing home.

7. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Dammit. I am planning a move to Dallas this year, and I was looking forward to getting out of this Time Warner area and getting Comcast. I guess I will stick with DirecTV until the series 3 comes out. I had hoped to not have to deal with setting up a dish after I move.

8. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO

I live in Florissant, small world :)

9. disneyboi81

disneyboi81 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Guys, I wouldn't get all out of shape yet. This is a very different change. Time Warner is acquiring the area from Comcast. As an employee we have heard several things but nothing concrete. Though it appears that a Tivo Dvr still might happen. Currently, closing date is looking at May-June. I do know that finally at some point Dallas,Richardson,Mesquite, and Plano will become single line. This was confirmed but no timeframe. TimeWarner offers alot more in the form of technology. This will be a good change for the area.

-Disneyboi81

10. lormahoykyd2007

lormahoykyd2007 New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Arlington, Tx
    I have returned to Cable now that Comcast is gone, and Directv went with that awful DVR Plus crap. I actually had a T1 line for a year because Comcast ticked me off that much. I switched back to sat, to find out my Directv Tivo was dead and got stuck with that DVR Plus. That lasted 2 weeks. Lets hear it for Time Warner. I have had them before and am very happy with them. Now I just need to buy the Series 3 for myself for Christmas.

11. lormahoykyd2007

lormahoykyd2007 New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Arlington, Tx

We did away with that here in Texas last year with Prop 5. Now any company can setup in any region they want. Patiently waiting for the Verizon fiber to get her for the FiOs service.

12. TomP

TomP New Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Comcast just took over T/W where I live. Watch It! Fiber would be nice!!!
    TomP