No more adds on pause

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by schatham, Dec 19, 2015.

1. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007

Advertisements

I notice I don't have the adds when pausing a show. I hope this is permanent.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They come and go. It's unlikely it's permanent.

3. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    The question is how much do they really make on those ads. Actual real live cash in TiVo's hands, not tests or trades, real money. It does not seem like it could be much or that anyone could actually really prove that the ads are worthwhile to the advertiser. There are just not that many users.

Besides that, it just seems totally backwards for a device that lets us FF through ads would would stick them in our face.

It is just mean spirited. Ho!, Ho!, Ho!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  4. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I can't imagine why they'd piss off their customer base by sticking Ads in the face of people who dislike Ads in their face unless the income or at least the potential for income was significant.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Advertisements

90% of the time I hit pause to do something not watch the still frame, the few times I do want to watch the still frame just arrow down, if TiVo makes money with this I am OK with it, with the new skip mode coming AD skipping will even be easer, so TiVo is trying to make ADs not as bothersome when watching a recording. If you have ever used OD to watch a network show, the ADs there are real bothersome as you can't skip them in most cases.

6. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I have used Tivo for over 10 years. So I have not watched an add in that long. I would probably give up tv if I could not skip the adds. I did not like the banner adds, so I quickly hit the down or clear button. I doubt anyone clicks on those adds unless by mistake.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You can say the same for just about any ad anywhere. In my life Broadcast TV went from 52 minutes of programming per hour to 42 minutes, basic cable channels went from no adds to the same 20+ minutes per hour of broadcast TV, the movie theaters play ads along with trailers, I am pretty sure no one stuck watching ads is happy about it.

The reality is ads power most of our media and are vital to our economy. Everyone claims they don't watch/read/listen to ads and they don't effective their buying patterns except the data proves all of us wrong.

TiVo provides me away to tolerate ads that pay for most of media I consume, so I am with lessd on this if TiVo can make money with the type of ads they use I am all for it.

8. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    That's not what I remember from taking a course in marketing at school, though that was decades ago. Back then few ad's could actually be proven to be cost effective. If someone bought a new car, was it the current ad campaign that worked, or was it just the right time to buy a car and the current model had the right combination of features. Maybe it had nothing to do with the ad.

Today, how could anyone tell, phone surveys ? Who answers the phone these days ? Who fills out marketing surveys, they are guaranteed junk mail and spam.

I am serious. I want to get rid of the TiVo ads, should be easy enough to prove that the proof of their effectiveness is just an illusion.

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    They have been selling these ads for years. If they were not cost effective, they would have been stopped long ago. Surely with all of their data tracking prowess they know exactly how many times these ads are used. Its up to the advertiser to determine if it generated positive sales.

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Don Draper disagrees with you.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That was a true-enough statement 4 months ago, but now that TiVo is touting the commercial-skipping SkipMode as one of their main features, it seems even more peculiar -- though they might argue that using the Down-Arrow when a Pause Ad displays is the functional equivalent of SkipMode. ;)

12. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Perhaps for an additional charge (or and extra $200 for "REALLY all-in") they'll give us TrueSkipMode that will disable banner ads as well.

Now if they could figure out a way to disable all the annoying overlay advertising during shows, they would really have something,

13. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    The key here is you are skipping someone else's ads with ad skipping. With the pause ad, it's Tivo's ad, gotta get the user to see those.

I figure since they removed the option to make the banner display shorter, ads are coming to that too, at some point, when they get desperate.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Just SPSPS and they won't bother you.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are you saying this sequence would disable the display of the Pause Ads? If so, is it persistent, or does it need to be reentered after each reboot?

Thanks...

p.s. http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-07/banish-tivo-pause-menu-ads/
    Select-Play-Select-PAUSE-Select​
    • Is NOT persistent.
    • Actually doesn't disable Pause Ads... rather, it just causes the trickplay/status bar to disappear near-instantaneously.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    No, it doesn't stick. Easy enough to reenter using the remote or KMTTG. As far as I am concerned this is an essential function not only to quickly clear any ad, but also to get rid of the bar when returning to play.