No matter what we do, TiVo PRO will not connect to router

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Ziggie, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Feb 1, 2014 #1 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...

Advertisements

We've been working on this for nearly 5 hours. I give up. TiVo tech support can't solve the problem.

2. Feb 1, 2014 #2 of 113
    StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    Are you using an Ethernet cable to directly connect TiVo to the router? If not describe everything in between the TiVo and the router.

What brand/model of router?

When you connect an Ethernet cable to powered on TiVo, then connect the other end to router, do any LEDs turn on, flash, or change color?

3. Feb 1, 2014 #3 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Steve, thanks so much for your reply! We are still on the phone with TiVo but I will gather the info for you as soon as I can (appreciate your help!)

The error codes are N02 and C202.

4. Feb 1, 2014 #4 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Steve, again.. thank you for your reply.. but we are returning the unit to TiVo. Guess we just won't be a Roamio family :(

5. Feb 1, 2014 #5 of 113
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Don't give up! TiVo CSRs aren't very knowledgeable when it comes to networking. I bet we can help you figure it out.

6. Feb 1, 2014 #6 of 113
    GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    I sent you a pm with my number it should not take more than five minutes to get it up and running.

7. Feb 2, 2014 #7 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Dan, Griffith and Steve... you are fabulous to offer your help. Just goes to show that there still are terrific people in the TiVo community ~ you guys rock :up:

We are returning the unit, but it's nice to know there's such great support here.

8. Feb 3, 2014 #8 of 113
    Lensman

Lensman Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Hoboken, NJ...
    It's a long shot but I created a big problem for myself when I connected my Premier to my network using ethernet. Apparently, since I have Verizon Fios, I have a MOCA LAN availalable on the coax line.

This created a network loop and my entire home network was down until I realized this and disconnected the ethernet cable from my Tivo and restarted my entire network.

9. Feb 3, 2014 #9 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Thanks for your post Lensman. We haven't tried using an ethernet cable yet, but we are thinking about it.

10. Feb 3, 2014 #10 of 113
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I would strongly encourage using Ethernet, at least initially. IIRC, one of the early software updates to the Roamio addressed some wireless connection issues. If nothing else, connect it via Ethernet to get all the software updates installed, then try it on wireless again.

11. Feb 3, 2014 #11 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Thanks for your post tatergator... I appreciate it. Right now, the unit is sitting here with it's RMA # attached to it. Hubby and I are in discussion as to whether or not we want to try an ethernet cable.

12. Feb 3, 2014 #12 of 113
    marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I sure hope you guys change your mind and reconsider. You can't get the Tivo experience anywhere else. I had several problems that I had to overcome with setting my Roamio Plus but with technology today many CSR's just don't have the practical skills.
    In fact any problems I've really ever had have been on the Time Warner side, not Tivo, but I know some Tivo CSR's are sharper than others.

As far as a connection, I'd always go with Ethernet if you have it available to minimize wireless problems that may not have anything to do with Tivo.

13. Feb 3, 2014 #13 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    We've been TiVo customers for over 10 years and, to be honest, couldn't watch tv without it :) Our current units work wonderfully... it's just the PRO that is giving us problems.

14. Feb 3, 2014 #14 of 113
    AdamNJ

AdamNJ Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    How about you explain your setup and let us help you. You've got people here willing to help but you are just talking about an RMA. I'm not sure what the point of this thread was if you are not going to at least let us try.

15. Feb 3, 2014 #15 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Adam, let me talk to my hubby when he gets home. We're caught between a rock and a hard place because he can't do any type of hard wiring due to post-surgical restrictions (he had major eye surgery).

16. Feb 3, 2014 #16 of 113
    mpnret

mpnret Member

Dec 4, 2012
    I realize everyone's home has a different layout and size. How far is it from your Roamio to the router? I bet a 50' would handle most situations, some a lot less, some a lot more. Buy the necessary length cat5 cable and run it from your Roamio to your router. Run it down the hall, out the bedroom door or whatever is necessary to get the setup done. Once you see it work move on to a more permanent install of the cable. If it doesn't work and you want to call it quits then, just return the cable. A 50' cat5 cable complete with connectors at both ends is less than $20 from Lowes. Lots of cheaper sources if you don't mind ordering online.
    I am expecting delivery of my Roamio tomorrow and I will be running my cable later today. I'm lucky mine is easy. It's just a short drop down to the basement then a 40' horizontal run then another short rise to the router.

17. Feb 3, 2014 #17 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Thanks for your post mpnret, good info to know :up: Hubby and I were talking about doing something like this but we have to see what's involved (meaning, how much he'd actually be able to physically do).

18. Feb 3, 2014 #18 of 113
    shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    I'd try the following to see if this would work:

1) Try dropping the security on your wireless network and see if the Roamio will connect to an unencrypted network. That should prove if the wireless card in the Roamio will work. If it can't connect to an unecrypted network, then the wireless card is likely bad.
    2) If there's a cable outlet near to the router, then I'd recommend using a MoCA adapter with an Ethernet connection to the router, then run the Roamio off of MoCA. I've been using MoCA for multiple years and it's been working flawlessly. All you should need would be a MoCA adapter connected at the router via Ethernet and you'd be good to go.
    3) Could you run a temporary cable just to see if the Roamio would work over Ethernet? I'm not saying to do anything fancy with it, just run the cable to the Roamio and see if Ethernet would work.

I did have an issue with a defective front panel on two prior Romaio Pro units, though from a networking side, it's been a breeze over MoCA on the current Roamio units as well as previous S3, Tivo HD and Premiere XL/XL4 units.

19. Feb 3, 2014 #19 of 113
    Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...

Shrike, in item #1, do you mean cable card? The one from Comcast?

#2) Our internet cable is different than our television cable (two different companies). I really have no idea what MoCA is (or what it does, etc.) ... would it work in our case?

#3) That's what we are thinking of doing.. testing an Ethernet cable. We're just still feeling the sting and disappointment from the fiasco on Saturday. I'm going to talk to him later tonight and see what he says.

----------------------------

I do want to thank everyone who has offered such genuine help in this thread. It is very much appreciated.

20. Feb 3, 2014 #20 of 113
    shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    1) Sorry, the "card" mentioned in #1 would be the internal wireless card inside of the Roamio, not the cable card. One of the first steps in troubleshooting a device that won't connect to wireless is to make it as simple as possible, with a broadcast SSID and no encryption. Then, make changes as you go and see what breaks it. See if if connections with a broadcast SSID and no encryption. If that works, try hiding the SSID again (if it was hidden originally) and see if it connects. If that works, then try putting the encryption back on again and see if the Roamio connects again. There's no reason why it shouldn't work unless the wifi card is bad or the Tivo's brain-dead about how to connect to wireless.

2) MoCA is running networking over the coax cable. As long as the same cable is running by your router and to where the Roamio is, you should be able to use the coax connection like Ethernet cabling to make the network happen. You would need to add a MoCA adapter to your router so that it could access the network to the Roamio Pro.

3) As long as you can get the Tivo activated with an Ethernet cable that isn't hidden/placed neatly, it'll at least get past the issue for the time being. If the router is on a different floor than the Roamio, then it might be a little odd in how it's run, though temporarily.