No leasing charges for new DirecTV DVR?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DamonR, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 40
    DamonR

DamonR New Member

Aug 3, 2007

Advertisements

I have two "owned" DVRs . I'm about to replace one DVR with a new "leased" unit from Bestbuy. I'm trying to avoid the new monthly lease fee.

My current DirecTV bill has a DVR monthly fee of $5.99 and an "additional receiver" fee of $4.99.

I called D* and was told that, I can buy the new "leased" unit, activate it, and there will be no additional charges on my bill. No new leasing charges. I will need to keep the unit active for 2 years or return it to them.

This sounds great to me. But after reading these threads, I'm a little worried.

I was going to do a weaKnees upgrade, but the new tivo is cheaper than replacing the HD.

Thanks for any advice...

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 40
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The "new" monthly lease fees... are just renamed "additional receiver" fees.
    And there is no way to avoid them.

Every unit AFTER your 1st unit, regardless if owned or leased... will carry a $4.99 charge.

It is not clear for the later half of your message...
    You do undertand the NEW DirecTV DVRs are not TiVo powered.

3. Aug 3, 2007 #3 of 40
    DamonR

DamonR New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Thank you,

I thought the "leasing fee" would be added to the bill in addition to the "additional receiver" fee.

This'll sound stupid, but I didn't realize the new DirecTV DVRs aren't TIVO. The ones I use now have the TIVO menus etc...

I didn't see and screen shots on the DirecTV site. The features sound similar. Are the new units similar to the old ones?

- Damon

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 40
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    similar in that they record TV shows to a hard drive, yes.

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 40
    magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas

Advertisements

Why pay anything upfront for a lease? It really makes no sense to me.

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 40
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I'd say it's better than the TiVo DVR. It will record the new HD MPEG4 channels and the TiVo one won't.

I don't miss the TiVo DVR and neither will you.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 40
    DamonR

DamonR New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Thanks for the info guys...

Looking on-line, the new unit looks great. Larger HD at least. My old unit is an SD-DVR40...

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 40
    Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Just look for the little tivo guy on the box or the unit and its a Tivo[​IMG] BTW The new units are NOTHING like the old ones. Dont listen to stamnly rohmer you will HATE it. It is so different from the tivo interface it will take days just to figure out how to use it. There is no dual live tv buffer. My nephew got one and he told me he felt like he was in a different country using the D* boxes. he had tDirectivos for years and did not know how to change out a bad drive and when D* offered him one for free he took it. He begged me to give him my old S1 that was in a closet. I obilged of course. His free hr20 is sitting in a closet and he is looking for a hr10-250 True Tivo w HD when the change to Mpg 4 comes in who knows what will happen and what will be available. There may be a New HD tivo if tivo reups with liberty. Keep the faith and dont listen to any anti tivo Spammers trying to sell D* boxes cause they probably work for D*

9. Aug 3, 2007 #9 of 40
    Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Than why are you still here. It may be a free country but how about you keep your anti tivo sentiments to yourself. I have had it with people like you. Do you go to the directv forum and say how bad directv is and how great dish network is. The mods there would censor your ass but good. You want to Hawk your directv dvrs dont do it here. Especialy telling a newbie that its better than tivo. You got chuztpa pal.

To the Origional poster you can get a tivo hr10-250 which will record in hd(not new but it is a tivo). It may be years before it will be All mpeg 4. BTW If you get one like on ebay 2 things make sure there is no money owed to D* and tell the csr when you activate it that it is not new. and it may come up as owned :)

10. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    And please remember,

It was Stanley Rohner who gave you that little nugget of info.

Nobody else. All the "glory" belongs to Stanley Rohner.

Make sure you remember, no one on this board gave you that info except for Stanley Rohner.

Don't forget!!
    :)

11. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    What new channels are you reffering to are you saying the hr10-250 wont record them YOU ARE WRONG! There are what like 12 channels the tivo SD cant record IN HD so what it looks OK on my 42 in Plasma and i can record the other 500 channels. So take your false info someplace else and go back to your cubicle in D* CSR VIlle. or perhaps to your sat install company with overstocked in D* Boxes

BTW SD is standard defenition Circuit city has some BRAND New DIREC"TIVO" SD for like 80 bucks leased. Or Grab a Hr10-250 cause If i am not mistaken they can record ALL OF Directvs programming Cause MPeg 4 is not even rolled out yet.(I am not 100 % sure) But pretty sure

12. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    I Hope that is not his REal name. Cause the OP might scour the Phone books of the nation for revenge :eek: :D :D :D :p :p

13. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I am pretty sure he is referring to the channels that will go live in September. And eventually any HD provided via SAT (since they are all going to convert to MPEG-4 and broadcast from a SAT, that no DTiVo can receive).

As of today... no TiVo can record SAT Provided HD-Locals. (Locals and MPEG-4 RSNs)

Has anyone actually got one of those "new" samsung DTiVos from Circuit City...
    It is extremely odd, that they have stock on an item, that hasn't been produced for over 2 years now.

14. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    Poor DamonR must be getting really confused with all the false information from the people who supposed to know what they are talking about.
    Fact - all new HD channels will be MPEG4 and HR10-250 will not be able to receive them.
    Fact - DamonR never asked this question because most likely he doesn't care about HD.
    Fact - Stanley Rohner is not the only one who prefers HR-20 to HR10. There are at least 2 of us. Actually I prefer R-15 to R-10 as well. It is not TiVo, but has more features and better GUI if you care to spend 15 minutes to read the manual and learn how to use it. For somebody who claims that it takes days to learn how to use it, I can only recommend to go back to elementary school and learn to read first.
    Fact - Neither Hr20 or R-15 have a dual buffer, but anybody who needs dual buffer functionality can just hit record button twice and flip between two programs by hitting PREV button just like if they were using dual buffer. And it wouldn't be 30 minutes abortion of the buffer that TiVo has, you will get full 1.5 hours of the first buffer saved plus all the new stuff on both channels.
    Fact - Samsung DirecTivo is out of stock online with Circuit City, and most likely none of stores has it (I checked availability in Colorado stores, but I'm almost sure that stores in other states don't have them either). I think it just a fluke, old database entry.

15. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I would think this is YOUR opinion and not fact.

16. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Um
    thanks but don't tell me what I will and won't miss.
    The only reason I switched to DTV in the 1st place was to get TiVo.

17. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    Me too!

18. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I already had DTV a couple years before the DTiVo was offered in my area, but I jumped on it ASAP because I'd seen TiVo at a friend's house and liked it.

As recently as 2 months ago I had to move away from my TiVo box, and oh boy do I miss it!

If you look at dear Stan's other posts he shills for his beloved DTV DVRs quite often w/o offering any real input to the discussions at hand, so take them for what they are worth.

19. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    after quoting my post, samo said:
    What exactly was "false" about my post?:confused:

Stanley WAS the only one who gave him that info! ...unless I missed some cosmic sarcasm, which I've been known to do from time to time.

The op was looking for opinions and Stanley gave him his. I pointed out the uniqueness of his opinion in this forum. Is that a problem? Did I miss the memo or something?

20. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Well When my SD tivo stops working with D* They will have to give me a free hr20 or refund my 250 lifetime service. If even 1 channel in my lineup cant be recieved they owe me either or. Since 1. i am still alive 2. i have a dvr.
    Truthfully I can Care less about HD. i am a couch potato but the SD Looks Ok To me on my 42in plasma. So basicly they will have to pry my tivo from my cold dead hands. :D :p :rolleyes: ;)